Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: help required bleeding brakes
INDY BIRD

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
help required bleeding brakes

have fitted a new master cylinder as last one created air and now the peddle goes straight to the floor.

i seem to have got all the air out and when i pump up the peddle it gets harder but leave it for a second or 2 and then the peddle goes to the floor ??? question is what am i doing wrong.

this is on a mk indy with sierra master cylinder,

thanks in advace.

RazMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you all the bleed nipples on the tops of the caliper? In some cases where the caliper is mounted upside down (for handbrake cable reasons) they need to be removed to bleed them.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
will check that thanks did not think of that.
planetester

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
You need to bleed them all properly,Find the bleed nipple at the fron t calipers & whatever you have at the back, Get some clear tube that fits snugly onto a nipple& a jam jar, get someone in the car & you start at one wheel with tube & jam jar, push pedal, open bleed nipple, allow fluid to flow into jar, close nipple, release brakes, repeat this until no more air can be seen coming out, now go to the next wheel & repeat, then next, there are arguments as to whether you start at the nearest to the m/cyl or farthest, try them both if you have to...
come back if your still stuck,

engine off by the way

RazMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth mentioning that an Easibleed from Halfrauds simplifies this process and can be done single handed.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Did Exactly what you explained and still peddle hits the floor???

no air comming through so not sure will try rear calipers upside down tommorow.

Cheers

INDY BIRD

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Razman IS THIS THE ONE THAT ATTACHES to the tyre to get the air out????
ReMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
If your old m/c was pushing air in it could be all over the system.
Or the new? m/c could be faulty?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

RazMan

posted on 13/4/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Razman IS THIS THE ONE THAT ATTACHES to the tyre to get the air out????

Nope, I mean the one way valve in a tube thingy

Cheers,
Raz

JoelP

posted on 14/4/06 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
you've confused me! the eazibleed i had used pressure from a half flat tyre (20psi) to blow brake fluid through the system, and yes it is a brilliant invention!
planetester

posted on 14/4/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Drastic measures now, we need to prove the m/cyln, you will spill some fluid so get the hose pipe running, either get 3 new M10X1 bleed nipples or rob them from you existing brake set up, disconnect the 3 pipes from the master cylinder & fit the bleed nipples, bleed the master cylinder & if it ok you should get a good pedal, then start & connect the front & rear systems up again one at a time & bleed.

good luck

DEAN C.

posted on 15/4/06 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,are you sure the master cylinder pushrod is not under tension.
If the pushrod does not come back far enough it will not allow fluid through to fill the system up,is it taking fluid when you pump it through?
I actually let my brakes bleed themselves by opening the bleed nipples and just kept topping the fluid,closing each nipple as it clears.But I do have my rear calipers the nipple to top way not like everyone else puts them on now,upside down.
Not saying my way is best with the calipers but if yours are the other way you will have to unbolt and turn them nipple up to bleed them,and its easier if you keep them low down or level with master cylinder if poss.
Dean.....
Yeah I know my handbrake cable looks poo coming out low down but it works fine and calipers look right!

[Edited on 15/4/06 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

INDY BIRD

posted on 15/4/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry this is on my brothers zx12 snoopy

But prob now solved with the eeziee bleed kit excellent job makes life easy,

Thanks for all your tips as i forgot about the reau calipers needing to come off to bleed.

Cheers

Sean

Krismc

posted on 15/4/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy a 'widget' from machine mart that attaches to your windy gun, it has a small plastic bottle and a bleed nipple clamp, clamp it on and squeeze trigger it blows air past the edge of the nipple and sucks air out!

any fluid is caught in bottle!
very simple to use!

[Edited on 15/4/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.