Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blue Hylomar
Marcus

posted on 23/4/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Blue Hylomar

I foolishly used this stuff to try to seal my fuel tank. I should have known better really, having done this to a Beetle 20 years ago!
Some of the fooking stuff has got into the petrol and is getting past my fuel filter
I've cleaned the carb out once, but it seems to be gummed up again.
Long term, the tank is coming out to be cleaned.
The question is, are the cheap inline paper filters any good - short term - or do I waste 2 galls of fresh unleaded and flush everything through.
BTW I'm using a fine mesh cleanable filter at the mo.

I'll be going to Stoneleigh if it kills me!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lexi

posted on 23/4/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Blue Hylomar sounds as though it could be a film from David Lynch. Put an inline filter in before your main one as it`s got to help. If it`s filtered it may be just the colour agent thats getting through. Let us know of any power boosts you are getting
Alex

Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use one of these, very light cost next too nothing from motor factors, think they are pug 205, just throw it away once every 6 months. Rescued attachment filter.JPG
Rescued attachment filter.JPG

Peteff

posted on 23/4/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I use the clear plastic ones about 50p each and swap them when they go black inside.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 23/4/06 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
No use to you now Marcus but for future reference for anyone else I used Loctite 5368 to seal my tank's 'prototype' ( ) sender hole.

Seems to be fine so far (although it's not immersed in petrol as hole is on top!).

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

02GF74

posted on 24/4/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
look for my post about sealing petrol tank sender; blue hylomar and a lot of other loctite sealants state on the boxd "n ot suitable for immmersion in petrol".

I use the red semi hardneing stuff - that was about 1 or 2 months ago - my tank is full of petrol so will check if it is leaking - don't think it is.

Generally using selants is a bodge in my opinion; I was picking out blue lumps out of the LR radiator where someone was a bit overzealous with it on the water pump; with a new gasket in place, no sealant and it is fine.

Marcus

posted on 24/4/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, i was bitten many years ago with a Beetle. The stuff is evil when mixed with petrol.
Just put a new fuel filter on and cleaned the carb out (again), let's see how we go.

Marcus

Marcus

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jon_boy

posted on 25/4/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just used a wee squidge of blue hylomar on the gasket that seals the pipe that goes into the inlet manifold and has the thermostat in on my essex v6. should be ok shouldnt it? i usually only put a bit of grease or old oil on gaskets but got advised differently. Cheers, Jon
Marcus

posted on 25/4/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
It's good stuff, used in the right environment, ie NO WHERE NEAR PETROL!!
Use sparingly too

Marcus

Marcus

dave r

posted on 25/4/06 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
if you ever read the health and safety data sheet for it, its almost enough not to make yoy wanna use it again
good stuff though, as long as you dont use it as toothpaste

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.