Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: V6 weights/powers
DIY Si

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
V6 weights/powers

Evening all, I'm looking at fitting a v6 in a seven. However, I am unsure which to pick. Which ones are heavy? which ones are powerful in standard form? More inportantly which are lowcost? Just as a starter for 10, I'm looking at the duratec (ford or jag), vauxhall (can't remember what it's called) and the kv6. Have I missed any obvious choices?
Cheers for the help. Oh and I'm aware of the thread running about the st24 etc engines.

MikeR

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
KV6 would be a brave and interesting choice.

Would it mate to any gearboxes for rear wheel drive?
Cost of spares?
Power per kg?

Love to see it as i thought the engine was a great idea. Shame rover didn't survive long enough to make a few hundred thousand of them.

ST24 engine seems easiest (even though you've still got the bell housing problem)

owelly

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search for Alfa V6 in here!......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd forgotten about them. Any other's I've over looked? And ideas/opinions which is best? And why?
hector

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
hi
I am currently fitting a cologne v6 as used in the sierra xr4x4, it is a heavy engine but once on the road i am putting a turbo kit on it and with gas flowed heads and few other mods it will kick out approx 250hp and about the same ft/lbs of torque, which should be quite entertaining!!

DIY Si

posted on 26/4/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I curently have one sat in the shed, but it need a bit of work to run properly. And from lifting it out the car, it weighs as much as my house! I'm after something a little lighter and powerful without any work. Apart formt the usual exhaust/inlet changes. I think a turbo would be too much hassle to plumb in under a seven's bonnet. Especially with a v6/v8. Or more hassle than I want to put in anyway.
davida

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
The V6 in my Freelander certainly makes a nice noise (178BHP) but I suspect it's a little bulky to fit in a seven.

I'd love to be proved wrong as it loves to rev to nearly 8k even when dragging a heavy 4x4

:-)
Dave

Liam

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
The vx engine is very nice indeed (have one in my road car) but with its iron block it will be quite a heavyweight. Cheap though and 208 standard ponies for the 3 litre with more easily released if you improve the standard restrictive exhaust manifolds. Easy RWD gearbox.

Alfa's are lovely and 240 bhp from the 24V cloverleaf. Have lifted one with my load cell and whilst i can't remember it's exact weight we were dissapointed how heavy it was considering it's ally. Well over 150kgs I think . RWD available but like gold dust, so adaptor plate or bellhousing mod needed.

I originally considered the KV6 so joined a rover 800 group to ask about it. They all said avoid like the plague (at least early 800 ones - late 75 ones are fairly well sorted) and use the honda 2.7 instead - so I am!! 180bhp standard, bulletproof and literally given away. Mine is 126kg including the steel adaptor plate and starter motor! Just missing my fabbed intake and a little alternator. Unfortunatley the standard ecu is under the 800's driver's seat and the wiring is merged with the whole car's loom!! Wiring would be a nightmare which is one reason i'm ditching the standard intake and going megasquirt. For any other engine i've seen, the ecu comes out on a separate engine loom. These engines are used in the Phantom GTR kit so they would probably be able to supply a loom.

Other honda V6s might be well worth a look - up to 3.5 in the Legend and v-tec form in the accord. All the V6s spin the right way but suffer from no bolt-on RWD box. I've made an adaptor plate for mine.

Toyota have a very nice V6 in the Camry. One interesting feature is a bolt-on supercharger available!

Others that come to mind are the Peugeot/Renault/Volvo and the Mazda/Ford Probe.

Liam

[Edited on 26/4/06 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Then theres the Omega V6 in 2.5, 2.6, 3.0 and 3.2 sizes, that already has a matching rear wheel drive gear box, differential, drive shafts and brakes. Oh and they are 24valve twin cam per bank.

[Edited on 26/4/06 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

britishtrident

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
V6 engines = sows ear
DIY Si

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
?
britishtrident

posted on 26/4/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
?

A V6 will always run roughly, out of dynamic balance -- instrinsic to the configuration nothing can be done about except disguise it with counter balancing shafts.

Johnmor

posted on 26/4/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
V6

Alfa V6 voted best engine four years running!!!!!

Dynamics dont know it all, try driving one first.

Liam

posted on 26/4/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm my meggy seems smooth enough to me . Doesn't mind idling at 500 or revving to 6700. No balancer shafts either. My honda engine is a 90 degree V6 which should theoretically be even worse!! Seems the 'problem' can be engineered out quite easily, and it's obviously worth it or nobody would bother with them.

Liam

locost_bryan

posted on 27/4/06 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mitsubishi FTO MIVEC (6A12) - 200bhp from 2 litres - bolts up to the old Starion rwd box (so I'm told!)

... or Mitsubishi Galant VR4 twin turbo (6A13) - 276 bhp from 2.5 litres

Mazda KL-ZE 2.5 litre 200bhp - used by Fraser Cars with adaptor for Ford gearbox http://www.users.bigpond.com/vidore/A%20Fraser%20Gallery.htm

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

DarrenW

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got mixed feelings of the Ford V6 after owning a 2.5 Mondeo. I was amazed to learn it only had around 165bhp in std form. I always thought it should be far more than that. For that reason i cant see the benefit in them over say a good zetec or XE. At least with these 2 there are loads of tuning potential and the chance of some cheap bits.

NS Dev

posted on 27/4/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnmor
Alfa V6 voted best engine four years running!!!!!

Dynamics dont know it all, try driving one first.

Yep, agree, for a slightly less nimble, but really fast midrange car with huge character and real grin factor a V6 is the thing in my opinion.

The howl is preferable to a v8 to my ears (though I'll understand those who will disagree!)

For Johnmor on his scottish open roads I can think of few things better than that alfa v6 in the 7!

To some extent you have to look beyond the peak paper figures (for any engine this is) and look at the full power and torque curves. The peak figures for the v6's may be disappointing but the performance will be anything but. They have substance to their torque curve that strikes a very happy balance.

V8's tend to have too much low down for a lightweight car, 4 cyls all top end, v6's a lovely balance. I know this is a generalisation but it does apply to most off the shelf v6's.

There's a chap on the westfield forum with a beautiful GM v6 24v setup in a westy, well worth a look.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

jollygreengiant

posted on 27/4/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Omega V6 = Almost bomb proof bottom end.

My mrs ran our for nearly 1/2 mile with no oil filter after some numpty one night decided to remove it. Fitted new filter & oil, still running fine over a year later.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

tks

posted on 28/4/06 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
nahh

you can tell me what you want,

but a engine without oil is like a superdog without blood in it.

Anyway the 6 Cilinders are the best balanced engines Due to fireing order and spacing etc..

Fireing order there was a trick... ahem 15 to young 34 to old 26 straight on..

153426 dunno if its right...LOL

TKs

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 28/4/06 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
straight 6s a harmonically balanced v6s arent but most modern engines are very good so you wont notice it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.