Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3S-GE to type 9?
albertz

posted on 26/4/06 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
3S-GE to type 9?

I currently have a type 9 gearbox fitted to my 4AGE engine (home-made bellhousing). But due to a change of plan i am now looking at replacing the 4AGE with the Toyota 3S-GE engine.

So my questions are;

Will my existing type 9 to 4AGE bellhousing fit the 3S-GE engine as well?

Can anyone confirm if the Supra box will fit and is there a particular box/age to watch out for?

Is there anything else i should know before buying the engine?

Any comments or advice appreciated as always.

COREdevelopments

posted on 26/4/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
hey andrew have you sent the tbs yet? as for the 3sge the box should fit as it should have the same stud holes, il try find out bit more for you, also the 3sge slants towards the exhaust side a fair bit so you would have to be carefull on lining it up, also bit heavier than the 4age,

4age is king in my opinion, although the 3sge is yamaha tunned

AdamR

posted on 26/4/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it, I'd love to see a 3SGE seven. I used to have a Celica with a 3SGE and it's a sweet engine... broader spread of torque than many of the peaky Japanese engines and lots of tuning options (esp with the turbo 3SGTE).

I should say that I know nothing about 4AGEs so I cant compare.

[Edited on 27/4/06 by AdamR]

Kodiak

posted on 27/4/06 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
3sg

Have a look at the Fraser web site here in NZ. (www.fraser.co.nz) These are mostly 3SG and 4AGE cars - around 300 at last count. They may be able to help with a bell housing off the shelf and advice on the use of this engine and mods required.
The 3SG is 11kg heavier but has a 25% increase in torque and HP as well as simpler maintainance. Be carefull of the turbo version as it is configured for the MR2 transverse mount and in turbo form does not have mounts on the block where you want them.

ChrisJLW

posted on 27/4/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I asked the same question on MR2OC.com and got this:-

I don't know if shipping from the states would be any cheaper, but go to toysport.com and under tech info the have a section on 3sge/gte rear drive swaps and parts for sale.

I went back and looked around and also found this:
"Rear Wheel Drive: The 2000cc 3SG is a good choice for RWD conversion. We can supply the engine brackets, oil pick-up, oil pan, flywheel, clutch set, and other related pieces to install in a RWD vehicle. There is a choice of either T-type (Corolla) or W-type (Celica) transmissions. Unless necessary, use the W type transmission. The T-type transmission is marginal when engine output in excess of 180 hp is expected.

The non-turbo block has provisions for the L & R engine brackets. The turbo block will need further modification to use (there is no provision for the engine bracket on the turbo side). Whether the planned application is turbo or non turbo- the NA block offers more flexibility because of the present engine bracket bosses. Piston oil coolers can be retrofitted on the block. Another advantage is that the oil cooler can be relocated away from the area where the factory turbo normally hang. After-market turbos cannot use the original factory turbo plumbing anyway.

Depending on the install, the water pipe routing will also need to be reconfigured (similar to the 4AG transverse going into a RWD application). The distributor will also need to be configured, or the firewall modified to clear it. A stand-alone Fuel injection set-up, with ignition capability is the preferred way to go. This way the ignition timing can be derived from a crank trigger, bypassing the distributor problem.

As mentioned earlier, oil delivery is crucial. Although the original transverse oil pan can be used, the pick-up and baffling is completely wrong. You have to get the correct RWD pan and oil pick-up, or risk losing the engine due to oiling problems. The late model engines have a higher output oil pump."

So it should be alright!

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

bimbleuk

posted on 27/4/06 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
If you did go that route and have the funds then look for the red top VVTI BEAMS 3SGE from the JDM MR2 (transversly mounted) or the blacktop VVTI BEAMS 3SGE from the Altezza RS200 (Lexus IS200).
ChrisJLW

posted on 27/4/06 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Better off looking for the IS200, if I ever discovered you'd broken up a BEAMS MR2 I'd have to kill you. (no more than 20 in the country)

I think the IS200 is RWD as well? So solves the gearbox problem.

I did it side-ah-ways.

locost_bryan

posted on 28/4/06 at 04:26 AM Reply With Quote
look here

also here for 3SGE and IS200 6-speed in a Fraser Clubman

Bryan Miller
Auckland NZ

Bruce McLaren - "Where's my F1 car?"
John Cooper - "In that rack of tubes, son"

ChrisJLW

posted on 28/4/06 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Bryan, didn't realise Mr Sherwood had built a 7 type, I haven't looked at his site for a while though. Interesting stuff.

I did it side-ah-ways.

Kodiak

posted on 28/4/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
....another option....climbing on to my soapbox, is the 3SG's arch rival the SR20. Exactly same bore and stroke, almost the same power and best of all RWD. There are lots of japanese car exporters than can supply a full conversion kit that are cheaper than the cost of a sump mod, baffles and bell housing. Not sure of UK costs but we are getting JDM spec S14's (non turbo + 5 speed + ECU, pedals mounts, prop shaft etc for the equal of 500quid landed cost . The final R spec (250HP) S15 turbo / 6 speed etc apx 1200 quid. These engines are strong enough that 375HP with stock internals is not beyond it.
If anyone is direct importing ex Japan be aware that the SR20 is used in a huge range of cars, vans, trucks etc. Inline rear, transverse front and 4WD layouts. Beware of transverse SR20 engines mated to RWD boxes for these, they are a expensive exercise, the engine may look the same but the there is a huge range of differences. Why bother when the full, ready to go matched set is so cheap. Tuning parts for the SR20 are in very good supply if 250HP is not enough.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.