Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Earth through ali
Jasper

posted on 8/4/03 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Earth through ali

Is it ok to earth onto bolts onto ali panels rivitted to the chassis, ie does ali provide as good an earth as the steel chassis?
StuartA

posted on 8/4/03 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
This is what we have done with our fuel pump and continuity seems to be fine. Fuel pump bolted to ali mount, earthed to same mount via a rivet. Ali mount then riveted to chassis. Checked continuity to one of the wheel rims and seemed to be a good circuit. Not sure on the relative conductivity of ali versus steel, but I'm pretty sure that all metal conducts so would have thought it would be fine.

Of course I might be talking out of my ear, in which case someone correct me and we will have to redo our fuel pump!

David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ali is a far better conductor than steel, not quite as good as copper.

Earth returns through the ali will be fine, with one reservation: aluminium oxide is an excellent insulator, so keeping a good connection may be a problem. However, it's not a major issue - just take care to keep water out of the joint.

David

Jasper

posted on 8/4/03 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers chaps
StuartA

posted on 8/4/03 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I guess a blob of silicon sealant over the top of the rivet might be in order then
theconrodkid

posted on 8/4/03 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
i,d put an earth lead on just in case

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/4/03 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
just cos something is in vague contact - ie a rivet against an alu sheet - does not mena its a good consistent long term earth.

If its drawing several amps, or important, I would earth bong the panel by more positive means.

atb

steve

Mix

posted on 9/4/03 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
It is true that alloy will provide a suitable earth path, however it is also a fact that dissimilar metals in contact and in the presence of an electrolyte, (water) will set up galvanic action, (they act like a battery). This induces corrosion, the products of which will not conduct. Wherever possible alloy should be insulated from steel using sealant. IMHO the best method would be to bond the components electrically to a steel chassis member.

Mick

merkurman

posted on 19/4/03 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
a good fix might be to scuff arounf the rivet and put a spot of solder on it. also anywhere you have a screw for a ground make sure to put on silicon dielectric grease on it. (good old petroleum jelly works too)

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.