Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need help with Accusump!
darth G-F

posted on 6/5/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Need help with Accusump!

I plan on installing an accusump for added safety on my engine and have a couple questions:

1- If I get a 1qt Accusump, should I overfill my engine with 1qt more oil?

2- Should I get a high pressure Accusump for BEC use?

3- Manual or electric valve?

4- Sandwich plate or t-fitting (I have an oil cooler)?

5- Anything else I should know?

Thanks.

Hayabusa powered caterham

Jon Ison

posted on 6/5/06 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

1) Yes, the way I do it is overfill the engine slightly, start it up, run it up too pressure so the accusump is full, close the "manual valve" stop the engine, let the level settle, check it and fill too normal level.

2) Didnt know there was a different low and high pressure one.

3) Personal choice but I prefer manual, it does mean you could do with mounting the valve where you can get at it easily though.

4) Don't know on the Busa, but on the Blackbird "T" into the oil cooler circuit at your peril, only a small percentage goes through the cooler at any one time and it is then dumped back into the sump not into the engines oil galleries, you will have too check if the Busa oil circuit is similar, if it is don't break into the oil cooler or the accusump will be doing nothing for your engine.

4 1/2) The best place IMHO is too get pressure from and feed into a mail oil gallery, typically where oil pressure gauges or the like take there feed from, on the Blade and Bird 1/2" fittings can be found at the bottom of the engine block, again you will need too check on your engine.

5) They work. Great fro pre oiling the engine before you start it too, that's when most engine wear takes place, cranking over with no oil lubricating bearings etc.

Thats my 2p worth, or in your case 2$ worth.

Cheers J.

MikeR

posted on 6/5/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
how much did it cost roughly to fit yours Jon?

I seem to be a big woman at the moment and am changing my mind about lots of things. Might as well add this to the list of things to consider.

Jon Ison

posted on 6/5/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Bought off "findit" when that was the place too get bits like that, worth smurfing ebay maybe ?

I bought it new and unfitted though, I too get a bit paranoid and wont fit stuff like that from a engine I don't know, oil coolers etc, don't like the thought of introducing blown engine debris into mine.

Oh, like a politician tonight ain't I ? what was the question again ?

About £70. There much more new over here though I think.

Jon Ison

posted on 6/5/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
.here

MikeR

posted on 6/5/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
heard theres a few jobs going down london way if you're interested jon. Big place, next to the river in an old building.

Pays well i believe, if you do well you get your own mistress. Doesn't matter how ugly you are.

darth G-F

posted on 7/5/06 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Jon!

Considering point #2, it is for the EPC Valve, but I will probably go for a remote manual valve.

One last question, what size Accusump should I get? 1qt or 3qt?

Hayabusa powered caterham

INDY BIRD

posted on 10/5/06 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Jons advice is good helped me install mine i used a 4 pint manual valve works a treat.

cost around 150 pounds for the accusump and pipe work.

as jon said plumb into main oil gallery not the oil cooler lines or a sandwich plate of the oil filter with a 1 way valve.

cheers

sean

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.