Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic Clutch Kit, type 9 box??
Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic Clutch Kit, type 9 box??

Starting to relise how people give up building these kits, i just dont know how to continue

Having not much knowledge of gearbox/clutches or engines for that matter etc, im trying to fit this hydraulic clutch kit from burton power, as my release arm wont fit down my tunnel.

Basically its kit including some bleed hoses, amounting plate, 30mm spacer, a hydraulic nose and release bearing- fitted together in the order, althought im very unsure how to decide how thick the spacer should be as its labeled up - saying 'machine to suit' any help is appriciated, all the best kris!

ive included pics and a diagram of how i think it goes, please feel free to correct me! if all else fails is it worth trying to let a company sort this out for me or would it be too expensive??

[Edited on 7/5/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Danozeman

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Starting to relise how people give up building these kits, i just dont know how to continue

Dont give up. theres plenty of people to help. Just keep working at it and youl get through!!!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

jimmyjoebob

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you? Someone on here may be nearby to offer advice or give a hand.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well im in newcastle (gateshead) and the kettles always on

And the reason i say about not wanting to do it, because i have searched and im finding a few things missing, like the alternator bracket needs modifiying, i need a belt?? a custom pully bracket, modify the water rail, chop the bell housing to bits for starter etc! looks like i need to someone to weld for me to make the brackets!

And i wont have use of a garage much longer ive only 8 weeks left... if it aint finished i may have to sell!

ps just trying to resize that picture now

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes Dont give up, you have probably found the old problem of desire outweighing ability/capability

yea cheers mate, Thats just what i was thinking, i was going to go the bike route but thought that a common engine would be simple like the zetec how wrong i was!

not my field cars im affraid, owned sum nice ones, but the first time ive owned a garage to mess around with them was 3 months ago- so id say im not quite pro

Krismc

posted on 7/5/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
well here is that drawing>>>

andyb64

posted on 7/5/06 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the release bearing to go with the release mechanism, I only ask because you don't show it in your drawing ?.
NS Dev

posted on 7/5/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Right,

First you need the release bearing.

1) Then measure your bellhousing thickness from engine block flange to the machined face that bolts to the gearbox, and write it down (measure accurately i.e. to nearest mm at the very worst!)

2) Then assemble your complete clutch to the flywheel and tighten it up etc so it's ready to go, put a straight edge across the centre of the diaphragm spring where the release bearing presses, and measure the gap between this and the engine block/bellhousing mounting face (obviously do all this without the bellhousing/gearbox on!) and write down that measurement too.

3) Then bolt the entire kit you got from burtons, plus the release bearing, onto the front of your gearbox, without the bellhousing on, and measure the distance from the front face of the gearbox (where the bellhousing bolts to) to the "clutch contacting" face of the release bearing, with it in its fully retracted position, and write that down as well.

Then subtract the measurements obtained in stages 2 and 3 above from the measurement in stage 1. You want the resultant number to be enough to allow for clutch wear and a tad of clearance, I went for approximately 5mm.

If it is significantly less than 5mm, you need to get some material faced off the 30mm spacer, but to be honest I'm sure my homemade spacer ended up around 30mm anyway.

hope this helps

Nat

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Krismc

posted on 8/5/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
>>>>erm right i think ive got the idea!!

cheers

and ive got my release bearing in the right place on drawing havent i or is it bigger and slots over the nose. i cant remember!

[Edited on 8/5/06 by Krismc]

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
For the fork to be in the tunnel your engine must be sitting very far back.
Krismc

posted on 8/5/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
my engine is sitting the only place it will go i have 1/2inch of forward and backward movement in the engine/gearbox!!!

why?? whats wrong with the placement!

NS Dev

posted on 8/5/06 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
>>>>erm right i think ive got the idea!!

cheers

and ive got my release bearing in the right place on drawing havent i or is it bigger and slots over the nose. i cant remember!

[Edited on 8/5/06 by Krismc]

Yep, the release bearing goes on the moving bit, if you see what I mean! It goes on the only bit it will fit onto to be honest, just push it on and it will stop in the right place, can't really go anywhere else, don't worry!

My instructions will make more sense if you print em off and take em to where all the bits are and do it step by step.

Nowt wrong with your engine position by the way, plenty on here with the same issues, so don't worry.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 9/5/06 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
PS good choice of kit by the way, not that I'm building one but if I was starting now I would be!

Krismc

posted on 9/5/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
starting to feel a bit happier with speaking to mark @ mac about the alternator bracket- cheers them pics are on the way!!

quote:

Yep, the release bearing goes on the moving bit, if you see what I mean! It goes on the only bit it will fit onto to be honest, just push it on and it will stop in the right place, can't really go anywhere else, don't worry!

My instructions will make more sense if you print em off and take em to where all the bits are and do it step by step.

Nowt wrong with your engine position by the way, plenty on here with the same issues, so don't worry.

ive already printed them of im going to have a go wed night, and i only asked about the release bearing because i didnt have it to hand, i thought it went over the nose- thanks again

NS Dev

posted on 9/5/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
no probs, make sure you print off your little sketch and draw the measurements onto it, it will all make much more sense then.

With jobs like this just take your time and measure everything carefully and do a little sketch, then it will all make much more sense and in reality be quite easy.

best of luck!

chockymonster

posted on 9/5/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget to measure twice
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 10/5/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
....yea im the type who measures once and cuts twice!

cheers for you help ill try that on fri night, never had a night of from work yet

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.