Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bolt sizes for seat mounting?
nick205

posted on 8/5/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
bolt sizes for seat mounting?

Just looking at mounting my Intatrim seats into the Indy. I'm planning on bolting them directly to the floor through the steel straps welded into the chassis. Plan is to use dome cap heads witha penny washers through the base of the seats, then penny whashers and nylocs under the floor.

What size to use - is M6 too small? or should I use M8?

Comments!

Cheers
Nick

MikeR

posted on 8/5/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
why not but the dome heads under the floor? less to get caught on something.
RazMan

posted on 8/5/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
M8 with penny washers should do the trick

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 8/5/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
the threaded bosses on most seats are m8, so i figured that must be a good size.

m6 does seem a bit weedy.
tom

shortie

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Nick,

Just one thing I realized when I came to bolt my seats directly to the floor in the Indy, are you sure the steel straps are in the correct place?!

Mine were not as I needed the seat right back against the bulkhead and the straps were in completely the wrong place. They may have changed the positioning of the straps now but worth checking!

HTH,
Rich.

Bryan Sears

posted on 9/5/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I got my seat runners from Midland Wheels good service and not expensive.
When you sit in the car this way you can adjust the seat to make yourself comfortable. I have long legs so I need the seat right back to get in and out.
My wife has short legs so I can keep up the pretence that I will let her drive.

scoop

posted on 9/5/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
SVA manual says "at least" m8 of 8.8 strength
Steve

nick205

posted on 9/5/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Shortie - straps are in the wrong place for the driver (that'll be me) but would probably be Ok for the passenger side.

I figured M8 would be about right, but that means going to the nut and bolt man again

Opinion seems very mixed on the quality of the seat runners available, but I can't really see any other practical option for the drivers seat

indykid

posted on 9/5/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
for the passenger side on mine, i used 1" rhs, drilled up for caphead bolts into the bottom of the seats, and down to put captive bolts through the straps.

put the captive bolts in first, then bolt the rhs to the seat. i had runners the first time on the drivers seat, but will probably go with rhs this time round.

give endless scope for seat position fore/aft.
tom

Liam

posted on 9/5/06 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
SVA manual says "at least" m8 of 8.8 strength
Steve

Is that only if the seatbelts are attached to the seats?? Only, if the seatbelts are attached to the chassis it shouldn't really matter what the seats are attached with. The book locost has seat squabs that aren't attached at all doesn't it?

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 10/5/06 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
does it not also have upper seatbelt mountings that are too low to satisfy sva, and bugger all castor?

squabs are a different animal to a one piece seat though. squabs by their very nature are well fitted. if you had scatter cushions, i'd think they'd pull you up too.

tom

nick205

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Tom - when you say "captive bolts do you mean something other than a normal hex head bolt?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.