Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: o/t Hole saw for bricks ?
Jon Ison

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
o/t Hole saw for bricks ?

got too move a waste pipe, rather than knock bricks out can you get a drill/boring bit too do the job ? Anyone got one, used one ?

Answers on a................

Jon Ison

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
summat like this maybe but a little more suttle.

JoelP

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
you allegedly need a diamond tipped core borer. I used to use them at work, nowadays i just drill loads of holes in a circle and use and SDS drill on chisel mode to finish it off. Once mortared, you wouldnt really know. Plus, with ye olde 45mm hole borer, the widest part of the elbow outside doesnt fit into the wall, resulting in a pipe a few inches off said wall.

like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5pc-DIAMOND-CORE-DRILL-Set-HEX-SDS-Shanks-NEW_W0QQitemZ7615804497QQcategoryZ63905QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 9/5/06 by JoelP]

andyb64

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is a TCT core drill, places like Screwfix sell them and they go through house bricks without any problem. You can hire them if you only have one hole to do. Make sure you check what size waste pipe you have first.

Andy...

Beat me to it Joel !!

[Edited on 9/5/06 by andyb64]

Jon Ison

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
you allegedly need a diamond tipped core borer. I used to use them at work, nowadays i just drill loads of holes in a circle and use and SDS drill on chisel mode to finish it off. Once mortared, you wouldnt really know. Plus, with ye olde 45mm hole borer, the widest part of the elbow outside doesnt fit into the wall, resulting in a pipe a few inches off said wall.

like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5pc-DIAMOND-CORE-DRILL-Set-HEX-SDS-Shanks-NEW_W0QQitemZ7615804497QQcategoryZ63905QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[Edited on 9/5/06 by JoelP]

That method sounds locost enough too me, got a sds drill, why the hell dint I think of that.........doh

Paul (Notts)

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you can get them..

Builder put a 6 inch diameter hole through my cavity wall last year to fit an air vent for a stove.

The bit looked just like a normal circular hole bit but very deep!!! left me a nice core of two bricks and cavity insulation between them.

No idea where to get one ..sorry

watsonpj

posted on 9/5/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Most hire shops do them diamond tipped and normally charge you by the milimetre you use, or thats what they did for me when I hired one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.