Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: top bones
lexi

posted on 10/5/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
top bones

Any one bent the top bones a la MK to give more room for 2.25 springs. I have shocks that are just not going to fit into my standard top bones. Any other ideas as I am intent on making them myself as I`m building a sportscar for £250
Alex

DIY Si

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
After paying someone to bend them, and if you get it right first time, it might be cheaper to make them.However, are you going to get all the bits in precisely the right place? If not, just buy some. And tell the missus they only cost a tenner!
big_wasa

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lexi I`m building a sportscar for £250
Alex

Would If I could. On my tool wish list, bending equipment comes higher than a plasma cutter and a tig welder.

caber

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
It may not be a popular solution but you can always move the top shocker bracket into the chassis, mine is mounted under the top rail. The flatter you lay the springs the greater poundage you need to get the correct rate, someone on here is bound to know the formula to uprate the spring depending on the angle!

Caber

lexi

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. If I told the wife they were a tenner she would say I was done. Caber..That is an idea Shocks maybe too long though and bottom bones are made and powdercoated so I don`t want to mod them but do fancy making a top set as material aint much and I can keep the shocks I got. Also I need a set of bones built to book dimensions as I have moved my top brackets to get castor......Ah the fun of it all......the neighbours asking you if that cars not finished yet.......Staring at a bracket for an hour .........till you find a solution. Do we all get a certificate at the end of this?
Alex

caber

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I believe it is called a MAC!

Long shocks aren't a problemthe bracket can be made to sit inside the chassis. My lower bones have the bottom shock mount as tight as I can get to a Maxi ball joint so there is a fair old slope to the shocker, if you have standard bottom bones you should be in a bit better shape .

Caber

mark chandler

posted on 10/5/06 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Making thems easy, few blocks of wood screwed to a board for a jig, can,t see the issue or need to spend £££ for £5 worth of metal.

Bent tubes are not as strong as two straight tubes with a morticed joint, have you thought about modifying the design to suit your dampers ?

If you look at some of the other kits for sale you will see this type of bone made (pilgrim's cobra front top bones as an example), not as asthetically pleasing maybe.

Regards Mark

Taz Surfleet

posted on 10/5/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
you could always move the shocks in-board ala formula 27
Mix

posted on 11/5/06 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
I use a place local to me that has an hydraulic bending machine, I pay £2 / bend. Don't bother about trying to get four bends the correct degree, just bend two lengths of material through 180 degrees and cut away what you don't need.

Mick

There are some photos in my gallery of my top bones.

[Edited on 11/5/06 by Mix]

DIY Si

posted on 11/5/06 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
£5 of metal?? What are you using? Thinking more on this, do most people use cds or erw? And what size?
lexi

posted on 11/5/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Good info guys. Can`t put them inboard as I have a horizontal brace across the two top brkts to compensate for the offcentre position of brkts. to achieve castor angle. Mix..that`s what I had in mind..bend them into a round V then cut to get everything in as I have my original bones to template from. The man`s right about the price really as it`s £3 quid a metre. Will use 2mm thick at least. I`ll check out a few places for bending.......if you know what I mean:
Alex

lexi

posted on 11/5/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mix ..just saw photo of your bones. That`s the way they should be doneIMHO.What is internal bore size of your bush tubes as mine are Herald type from way back but I might change them when building these units.
Cheers Alex

Mix

posted on 12/5/06 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Bush tubes were sourced to suit Luego bushes so it may not be a good idea to copy these, I got an example of the bush and took it to a steel yard to match the tube but I'm sure someone on here would let you know the dimensions of other poly bushes.

Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.