Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SORN FINE
PaulBuz

posted on 12/5/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
SORN FINE

I recently brough an old mini for my son who is 15.
At the time of purchase it was taxed & tested. I told the owner to take the tax disk out & get cash back from dvla.

I assumed that when he claimed back his money he would have declared it SORN.
My son shortly after received the log book in his name & I expected the tax renewal/sorn notice to come to me at the appropriate time.
The next correspondance I had with the dvla was a sorn fine!!
I have tried ringing the number on the paperwork, but was gobmacked to find that after half an hour on the phone there is no option to talk to a human, just constant menu & submenu's on paying the fine!
Now there is no way I'm going to pay this , but as there is no appeal process for sorn disputes, & the fact that the registered keeper is only 15, I'm at a loss as what to do....Any ideas?

ATB
Paul

flak monkey

posted on 12/5/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Write to them and say the sorn application got 'lost' in the post? Or just explain the situation.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

donut

posted on 12/5/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
phone your local dvla office?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PaulBuz

posted on 12/5/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have already rung the DVLA on another phone number .They were less than helpfull, they say I must deal with the Glasgow office that issued the fine. But that office only has one phone number, & no prizes for guessing which one it is!!

ATB
Paul

Peteff

posted on 12/5/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Try the old fashioned way, write a letter explaining what happened but don't be surprised if they still want the money as the previous owner was under no obligation to sorn a vehicle no longer in his possession as it was transferred to you

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

NS Dev

posted on 12/5/06 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Surely if the frigging arseheaded bunch of winkers known as the DVLA were trying to be technical on this one, then the previous owner must have declared the car SORN when he cashed in the tax, otherwise he would be rendering himself instantly liable to the fine himself!!!!

He must have still been the registered keeper otherwise then he would have been cashing in a stolen tax disc!!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

britishtrident

posted on 12/5/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Current (ie new) keepers job to declare SORN, can't work any other way.

Big brother watches a bit too much these days, no slack left in the system and the frightening thing is it is going to get much worse, spy in the dash is comming every road you drive, every turn you take he'll be watching you.

iank

posted on 12/5/06 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Surely if the frigging arseheaded bunch of winkers known as the DVLA were trying to be technical on this one, then the previous owner must have declared the car SORN when he cashed in the tax, otherwise he would be rendering himself instantly liable to the fine himself!!!!

He must have still been the registered keeper otherwise then he would have been cashing in a stolen tax disc!!!!

Don't think that logic (assuming there is logic in the DVLA) follows.

Cashing tax discs in and declaring SORN are completely different forms (and probably unlinked computer systems), you cash in the disc if you scrap it as well so there isn't an automatic offence.

As for it being stolen if you aren't the registered keeper? The car was sold, but the tax wasn't no stealing implied or required.

PaulBuz: If you asked the guy to declare it SORN then you might have a claim against him, otherwise I don't think you'll get anywhere with an appeal - even if there is such a thing. Sorry.

Best bet is to tell them you sent the forms off when you bought the car so it must be their fault.

DorsetStrider

posted on 12/5/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Big brother watches a bit too much these days, no slack left in the system and the frightening thing is it is going to get much worse, spy in the dash is comming every road you drive, every turn you take he'll be watching you.

I can't beleive it will ever actually happen. If it does it'll bankrupt the country in a matter of weeks.

I've done the maths and if they did bring this in I for one would be unable to work and would therefore be living off of the state.... I find it hard to beleive that I'd be the only one.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

DavidM

posted on 12/5/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar situation with my son. DVLA will only accept written appeals. I f the car is registered in your son's name it would be useful to explain the situation in a letter sent by him advising his age and noting that he has no income.
Whatever you do, you'll be at their mercy as to whether they drop it or not.

We appealed successfully, so it is possible.

Regards,

David

Proportion is Everything

andyps

posted on 12/5/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you buy a car which is SORN you still have to declare it SORN yourself - unlike a tax disc SORN is not transferrable. i guess the logic is that the previous keeper declared that they would not be using/keeping the car on teh public highway, but that does not mean you have also agreed to it. Harsh, but maybe fair in a way.

I would probably try saying SORN declaration was made once you got the registration document, must have got lost in the post - worth a try.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Danozeman

posted on 12/5/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Put it in writing that you sent the letter off or took it in to the local post office and did it. Its the only way youl get away with it. It happened to me last year. The form got lost in the post office. I actually got to speak to someone and it happens all the time..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

need4speed

posted on 12/5/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Was a similar situation here, my lad also now 15 bought a mini tried to sorn it only to be told he wasn't the registered keeper, this went on for weeks until we sent in the V5c slip with the sorn form a week later we get 2 V5c's in the post and a sorn notification.

No fine though.

did you get the V5c in his name otherwise you can't declare it SORN always tell them you where waiting for the V5c that never arrived.

Dave

owelly

posted on 12/5/06 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
When I declared my cars SORN at the PO, I got a reciept. If you say you declared SORN at the PO, they may insist you prove it.
The 'got lost in the post' one has worked for a few folks....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 12/5/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had an issue with SORN when it was first introduced. I wrote back to the DVLA including a cheque as a show of good will but asked them to investigate the case. I listed my points and ........ got a backdated sorn and the cheque wasn't cashed.

The people at DVLA are ok, you're a decent person whos written to them after a computer generated a standard letter. They are trying to catch the dishonest people.

big_wasa

posted on 12/5/06 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Had my run-in with this aswell. In my experiance you will not win.

My advice swollow it and pay it before the fine goes up

[Edited on 12/5/06 by big_wasa]

brashhighlander

posted on 12/5/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I crashed my tin top and the insurance wrote the car off. A few weeks ago I received a fine for not declaring SORN. I tried to explain the situation to the DVLA but they are not interested. Still not paid fine.
JoelP

posted on 13/5/06 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
that reminds me, i havent got a refund on the 406 yet bugger.
PaulBuz

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies lads.
I think I will have to put together a letter to try & explain.

This SORN is a very ill thought out process, as borne out by the fact that the AA & RAC have said as much.

What other country in the world judges you guilty with the onus on you to prove your innocence?

....sheer madness

ATB
Paul

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 13/5/06 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i sent a cheque for a fine with a letter saying it must have been lost in the post, they sent the cheque back with a letter saying no further action will be taken

i destroyed the sorn application which had sat on my desk untouched for weeks

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.