Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: compressors
Aboardman

posted on 19/5/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
compressors

was going to buy a 3hp vertical compressor from transtools but they have stopped selling them.

would this be ok for spraying a car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPACE-SAVING-COMPRESSOR-VERTICAL-DESIGN-100-LITRE_W0QQitemZ7619214115QQcategoryZ20779QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or if anybody knows of a half decent compressor for around £200

thanks

[Edited on 19/5/06 by Aboardman]

[Edited on 19/5/06 by Aboardman]

bernie955

posted on 19/5/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not. You need a minimum of 8cfm for spray painting. That figure was given to me years ago so, with changes to gun technology, you'd probably need a lot more these days, especially using HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) guns.

I haven't painted a car for 8 or 9 years but I used a 12cfm on the last, which worked fine.

flak monkey

posted on 19/5/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
My 7/8cfm compressor sprays easily, it does run constantly, but the pressure remains steady.

Obviously a higher rate compressor wouldnt have to work as hard, but it depends what you want.

The amount of air used depends entirely on the size of the nozzle on the spray gun. I have used 1.2 and 1.5mm nozzles on my compressor and it keeps up just fine. However I would say 1.5mm is getting toward being on the small side for spraying a whole car...

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Gav

posted on 19/5/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Andrew,

If you want to try-before-you-buy your welcome to borrow my Clarke compressor, its 2hp/60ltr/8cfm
Their is also a vat free weekend soon at machine mart at preston!

[Edited on 19/5/06 by Gav]

Aboardman

posted on 19/5/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
this looks a better beast

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Compressor-BIG-4-hp-150-lt-Tank-Direct-Drive-240v_W0QQitemZ8067461683QQcategoryZ30906QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Peteff

posted on 19/5/06 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Your original choice would run a spraygun to paint panels individually. I would be tempted to ask if the 4hp motor will run from a domestic supply, it sounds a bit hefty.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Aboardman

posted on 19/5/06 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
it says it will

Motor output: 4hp / 3kw - Direct driven - Voltage:230 1phase - Air delivery: 15 cfm Comes fitted with a 13amp 3 pin plug,

looks like a bargain

JoelP

posted on 19/5/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good, but dont forget you can link 2 2hp compressors and it would probably be cheaper.
dern

posted on 28/5/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
was going to buy a 3hp vertical compressor from transtools but they have stopped selling them.
Did they say why? I bought one and it's absolutely superb.

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aboardman

posted on 29/5/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
no reason, was going to order one from web site and none shown so i emailed them and they said they have stopped selling them, shame really.
dern

posted on 29/5/06 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
no reason, was going to order one from web site and none shown so i emailed them and they said they have stopped selling them, shame really.
One reason that does occur is that when I spoke to the guy who runs it when it was delivered for some advice his assumption was that I was phoning to tell him that it had fallen over in transit. Apparently loads of them fell over in the couriers vans and had to be brought straight back and replaced. Maybe they just couldn't be arsed any more. They are quite top-heavy but they take up very little floor space for the size of the thing.

Mark

R1 (2003 FI) powered Locost in progress
Fireblade/Impreza

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aboardman

posted on 4/6/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
i have just bought one of these for £225

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8049294273&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

now need to find a spray gun for it, and would i be better getting 10mm hose or will 8mm be ok.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.