Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost chassis vs Caterfield's
Alez

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Locost chassis vs Caterfield's

In a Spanish automotive forum, we are currently wondering how these compare in terms of proper triangulation and safety in a crash. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Alex

donut

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I was looking at the caterham chassis in the Caterham showroom this morning funnily enough and there does seem to be a little more metalwork but not much so i think theres not allot in it.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Friberg

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
From what I have seen on a Caterham Superlight and the pictures of the chassis for the new CSR I think that Caterham are a lot better with triangulations than Westfield. But if this only adds strength to the chassis or if it also adds safety for the driver I'm not the right person to judge...

My personal belief is that all Se7en cars are really bad when it comes to safety on the road with trucks, lorries, SUV's etc. On the track with other cars of the same type/weight it's probably not as bad but still it's a car designed for racing and not for safety...

An engine without turbo sucks!

Alez

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys,

How about the more traditional Caterham and Westfield chassis, i.e. not the newer Superlight but the classic models? Do they look very similar to the book chassis or any stronger?

Thanks!

Peteff

posted on 23/5/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield chassis....

If you put a Locost book chassis and an older Westy chassis side by side you would be hard pressed to see the difference with the naked eye, this was the reason for some litigation I believe . A friend of mine built a Westfield and a lot of the measurements are identical but details like the roll bar mount section on a Westy are solid 2x1 steel not rhs must be to add strength.

[Edited on 23/5/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

t.j.

posted on 23/5/06 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I would compare a seven not with a car but with a motorcylce or quadracylce.

If you hit something.....

The locost, tiger, locust, dax, rush, vm77, donkervoort, caterham, HKT, or wt*. it will all about the same. In an full-head collisian the prop and gear-box will come visit your legs..
By a side impact you will be a sand-wich

So the only thing you could do is watch what the other drivers are doing, pray and place some extra triangles in the drivers compartment.

tks

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

you just need to give it its tits and just when you are getting sandwiched you could escape..

that the way i see them...

- good brakes
- good accelrator
- good steering
- good handling

Sow i see it has a safety factor wich is also important..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Julian B

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that all seven chassis ( except robin hood ) are designed for angular torsional rigidity, not frontal/side deformation protection. If the car does strike a wall head on, the chassis may well survive, but without the use of shock absorbing crumple zones your internal organs probably wont

JB

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.