Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: floor material
DIY Si

posted on 23/5/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
floor material

Which floor material is best for a first time builder? I haven't brought anything yet, so could go alli sheet with rivets and sikalfex (or similar), or weld in 18swg steel sheet. Or cf if someone has some going free. I've never used sixaflex and would feel better welding in some more steel, but is it worth the extra weight? Is there any difference to the car when completed, bar weight?
flak monkey

posted on 23/5/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would go with 14 or 16swg ali sheet riveted and bonded. Not 18swg, might be a bit thin.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DIY Si

posted on 23/5/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
See, I knew I'd forget something.
NS Dev

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have bonded and rivetted 18 swg ali, same as most westfields that I have been in.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Macbeast

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bonded ?

Presume this is a magic glue ?

[Edited on 23/5/06 by Macbeast]

dave_w11
Junior Builder

Posts 45
Registered 20/12/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: A bookish chassis. Engine still undecided.

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some 18 swg steel to use as floor but might go for alli instead for the sake of weight. I think other threads suggest a weight difference of about 10kg? I think that was for thicker alli though.

I might rivet rather than weld the 18 swg steel on to avoid warpage though.

mark chandler

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
When I welded my steel floor it warped so I cut out and replaced with Ali, rivits and glue....

Much nicer job.

Regards Mark

JoelP

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
i have a chap making me a kevlar carbon composite floor for the new porject bodywork too infact

18g ally seems damned thin, i thought people used 2mm normally. Still, if it works it works

The Baron

posted on 23/5/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I originally welded in a steel floor but it warped really badly. I then cut it out, and replaced it with 16 SWG ally, bonded in place with silicon bath sealer, then riveted.

Cheers,

The Baron

Liam

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
No need to fanny about with messy glue and hundreds of rivets...

18-guage ally, 3M VHB tape, and a few rivets in the corners to resist peeling. Seats mounted on tubes though.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Floors

Aluminium, bonded and riveted would be my choice using a high grade aluminium not soft stuff (sorry cant remember the exact grade) and quaility rivets.

One thing I do consider is the safety of my backside in a low vehicle. If you happen to hit a rock or debris in the road it would rip through thin ally sheet and your ass!

Also consider that a well fitted floor will add to the stiffness of your vehicle, plus if it is extra weight it is in the best place possible place, ie as low as you can get it.

My car actually uses 6mm structural aluminium bolted in place with M6, as I want to be able to remove it.

John

DIY Si

posted on 24/5/06 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
6mm structural plate? Isn't that a little ott?
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 24/5/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Floor

When I designed my chassis I tried to get it as torsionally stiff as possible with the weight in the chassis as low as possible. My studies showed that a good floor really contributed to the stiffness of the chassis, meaning I could actually reduce the upper structure.

Also engine sump gaurds are normally at least 8mm ally and as I sit on the floor and my backside is as low as my engine sump I considered my ass at least as important as my sump.

So I have a stiff structure that will protect me and my car with weight as low as I can get it.

John

DIY Si

posted on 24/5/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough. Would you suggest putting a thicker floor in the passenger bay and use thin (18-16 swg) alli elsewhere? Do you still mount your seats on tubes, or straight to the floor?
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 25/5/06 at 04:52 AM Reply With Quote
Floors and Seats

Bear in mind that the car I built was a Morris Minor but the principles are the same.

I prefer to mount the seats to the chassis on tubes. The forces on the seats can be very high.

Having a thicker floor under the passenger compartment is a very good idea.

However many people have very thin floors and the actualy chance of something ripping through the floor is quite small (I have only heard of 2 stories) so it is a matter of judging the risk and making the decision.

John

natehall

posted on 25/5/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
i personally would do anything for rigidity - so would weld it in - but take my time and make sure i didnt warp the sheetstteel
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richie Revs

posted on 31/5/06 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
What type of rivets would you use for Al sheet to steel chassis (ie steel or Al)?

Would you Waxoil?

Thanks

NS Dev

posted on 31/5/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
ally rivets, not sure on waxoyl, I haven't, but it wouldn't do any harm.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

robertst

posted on 31/5/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
what do production cars have as a floor? i would guess steel and probably as thin as the body. i'd guess about 18swg.
of course tin-tops are far higher off te ground and have insulation in the cabin and whatnot... but i guess 2mm ally should be enough... unless you try to drive over a road block or something, then i would guess it is more probable to get struck by lightning than to have a rock up your arse.

Tom

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.