Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gsxr 1000
sean951

posted on 23/5/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
gsxr 1000

who has one fitted in their car? and more importantly who has a finnished car with it? im interested on what other people did for their clutch actuator. also if you kept the secondary throttle assembly, ive heard of dsr racers wiring them open or ommiting them completely.
olrowdy

posted on 24/5/06 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
GSXR-1000 clutch

Hi,
I'm still in the process of finishing my car here in South Florida using a GSXR1000 engine.

I'm using Mazda 626 clutch master and slave cylinders to push on the clutch push rod. I made a 1/ 8" thick steel plate that mounts directly against the side of the transmission with the clutch push rod sticking through the plate. The clutch slave cylinder is mounted on a 90 degree bracket so that the open end of the cylinder is flush against the steel mounting plate and centered over the cut down clutch push rod.

I'm using a Wilford clutch pedal and I drilled a new clevis pin hole as close to the pivot hole as possible. I ended up with a 9 to 1 ratio and it feels pretty good.

The clutch slave unit is -very- close to the universal joint but it does clear it. The car isn't on the road yet so I really don't know how it will work but the pedal does feel like a normal car clutch.

Regards, Olrowdy

sean951

posted on 24/5/06 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
that sounds like a really interesting set up! I am a visual learner, and a couple of pics would be great. are you going drysump? looks like some people arew getting by with a baffle. very interested in your build. feel free to email me any pics of your car you may have. thanks!
yahshuatwo

posted on 24/5/06 at 04:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have a busa engine and just decided to use a gsxr 1000 clutch cable. I worried that there just wasn't enough space for the slave cylinder near the shaft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sean951

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
how did you make that work? did you take the gisxr 1k clutch actuator out of the sprocket cover and make a new bracket for it? i know it couldnt stay in the sprocket cover, it covers up the sprocket so no driveshaft. or did you just cut out for the driveshaft?
yahshuatwo

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah. that's what I did. took off the sprocket cover and fabed a lever to mount in the existing sprocket cover holes. Enough said, a picture is worth more that a 1000 words.

Here are pics I got from Jim Gould in Canada: Rescued attachment DSCN0092.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0092.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yahshuatwo

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
first pic was rather too larger. secod pic: Rescued attachment DSCN0091.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0091.JPG

sean951

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the pic! i am a visual learner. how far allong is your beast? im not that far away from you.
Taz Surfleet

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
take a look at my archive theres a few pics on how I maintained a hydraulic clutch
yahshuatwo

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
clutch push rod will need to shorten no more than a 1/2 inch. Moreover, the pushrod length depends on how far the bracket/lever extents out from the engine. In the picture the bracket extents out enough to not interfere with the prop-shaft sprocket adapter. Fab the bracket- lever and test the range of motion before making a cut to the pushrod.

But for the gxr 1000, setup will be different since it is natively a cable- based clutch actuator

Coming along now after 3 yrs!!. wrapping up backend IRS (Subie LSD) to drop it down off the jack stands soon.

Its always no money, plenty of time -or- money to spend, but no time

yahshuatwo

posted on 24/5/06 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Not bad Taz, looks good
sean951

posted on 24/5/06 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, thats a very clean install
benners05

posted on 28/10/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch push rod length

Hi all!

I know this thread is a bit old but hoping for some help from out there in build land!!

I've made up a new clutch bracket and now need to make up a new push rod which I've calculated needs to be 1" longer than the original. This would be an easy job if (like and idiot) I'd not lost the original!!
javascript:icon(''
Does anyone know how long a standard push rod from a k8/k9 is?

Thanks

Ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.