Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: JAP IMPORT?
greglogan

posted on 29/5/06 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
JAP IMPORT?

Has anyone imported a car from Japan. I am considering a MX5 for a runaround for the missus. I am considering going down the Jap Aution and import route and was wondering if anyone here had tried it....

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

stevec

posted on 29/5/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
There are lots of things to beware of, one is some insurance companys dont like them because some UK dealerships wont support you with parts on an import, so if you have bump you cant get the parts, this may have changed but I know Mitsubishi used to be funny about it.
Steve,

viatron

posted on 29/5/06 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
From my experience this is no longer the case, got insurance no problems on my wifes jap import Subaru Legacy Bi Turbo, there are also lots of companies now offering parts off the shelf for grey imports. The major problem at the auction is getting something for the right money. Everyone seems to have jumped on the bandwagon and as a result the last 2 ayctions i went to were 90% retail punters hence the prices were quite high.

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flyingkiwi

posted on 29/5/06 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
imported 2 cars from Japan around 6 years ago, mazda mx3 and a mitsi FTO, both cheap as chips and easy to do, plenty of companies that will ship the car over for you. Can take over a month though to get the car here though, so check on the delivery times.

Mazda supported me and got any part I needed. 99% of the time a UK car part fitted the jap car.

Mitsubishi, however, saw it as a chance to rip me off all the time, including Alternators that cost £1100 new! So didn't use them for a while (That was last year too)

Don't forget that the car will need SVA'ing if you bring it over yourself, though good chance to see what the sva test is all about!

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.