Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling again
Monkey Man

posted on 3/6/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling again

I'm in the process of putting in my cooling system. I'm sure of the following.

Water pump main outlet to bottom of radiator (bottom hose)
Water pump small outlet to inlet manifold (this goes direct as I have no heater.

Thermostat to top of radiator (top hose)

Little radiator outlet to top of header tank.

My question concerns the main hose that comes from the header tank.

I had a chat to MK today and they say to connect it to the bottom hose with a t piece.

I didn't ask them if they could get hold of one though perhaps I should have done. It seems a bit odd though having a 15mm hose connecting to a 38mm one. (I don't know if it is strange it just seems odd to me)

I had a look on a few places and while I could find reducing t pieces I couldn't find one that went from 38mm to 15mm.

Have other people with a pinto done it this way? Where did you get a suitable t piece?

Thanks

RazMan

posted on 3/6/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
You are right about connecting the header to the lower hose and the size difference is ok too as you are only 'topping up' the system while it is running.

Tee pieces are hard to find - I got some made up by CBS but at £20 each they are not exactly cheap. Rescued attachment Heater tee.jpg
Rescued attachment Heater tee.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 4/6/06 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
You are right about connecting the header to the lower hose and the size difference is ok too as you are only 'topping up' the system while it is running.

Tee pieces are hard to find - I got some made up by CBS but at £20 each they are not exactly cheap.

Allyfab is cheaper...and do them to your required dimensions.

http://www.allyfab.co.uk/

[Edited on 4/6/06 by stevebubs]

deneo

posted on 4/6/06 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
tubes

if you need a tee i can make 1 very cheep
any size about a fiver

thanks dene

greggors84

posted on 4/6/06 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
You could always have a look round the scrappy for a rubber t peice that is similar dimensions.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

indykid

posted on 4/6/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
if it's a pinto indy, chances are, the radiator bottom hose is 32mm, so will need reducing from the 38mm water pump outlet.

kill 2 birds with one stone (a composite stone mind). go to halfords, or wherever sells it, and get a flexible hose with 38mm one end and 32mm the other, and get one that's 32mm both ends. i can't remember the lengths, sorry.
go to a plumbers merchants, and buy a 28 15 28 solder ring t. the solder rings on the t make an ideal bead to clamp round, and also bring the o/d to about 31mm. most places will want about £8 for the t, but i got one from our local ethnic majority shop for ~£2.50.

put the 32mm pipe ends straight onto the t, and for the 15mm, put a stub of 15mm copper pipe on, and solder a compression olive onto it. i find the solder ring on the 15mm joint makes the o/d too big, and makes pipe fitting and removal awkward. the olive is just about right.

it's copper, yes, but you can spray it black, silver, or whatever matches your engine bay.

it works, which is most important,
tom

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.