Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance... Under 21!!
mr_pr

posted on 6/6/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance... Under 21!!

Hi,

Got another debate running over engines. Now looking for insurance types in my buying preparation! Anyone on here under 21? Or was anyone insured at that age and can reccomend. I shouldn't be too bad, no accident or claims etc, garaged, less than 5k milage...

Ed

Hellfire

posted on 6/6/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
If you obtain a quote at all I would imagine it's circa £1k... depends where you live, whether garaged or not, excess allowance, etc, etc,.

Only one way to find out!

Steve

mr_pr

posted on 6/6/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
i know been ringing round. Only flux will insure so far for £838...

Ed

andyharding

posted on 6/6/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 22 and Sureterm rip me £335 fully comp for the 1.6L Pinto Locost. Building up the courage to tell them about the 2L race Pinto that's going in

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

greggors84

posted on 6/6/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im 21, and there was a massive price hike above 2.0l. But below that it wasnt too bad, ll they asked me about the engine is is it turbo or supercharged.

Thinking about it im not sure if footman james even asked me that!

Paid £512 with FJ for fully comp 2.0 pinto 3k limited milage.

Adrian Flux are another one to ask and will often price match.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

dave_w11
Junior Builder

Posts 45
Registered 20/12/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: A bookish chassis. Engine still undecided.

posted on 6/6/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr_pr
i know been ringing round. Only flux will insure so far for £838...

Ed

What engine was that quote for?

Dave.

trogdor

posted on 6/6/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
i find its very depedant on where u live and what sex u are. an example from when i was trying to insure my saab 96. still haven't got it thro an mot but never mind.

i was using cis, as i find them to be really good, with me insured on the saab at my address at home in runcorn they wanted two grand!

when i put the address of my uni house in southampton in they only wanted a grand!

finally when i put my girlfriend as the named driver, then added me on they only wanted £468!

strange thing about cis is the milage, if u put a quote through at 10,000 and 5,000 miles there is very little difference, 20 pounds at best.

greggors84

posted on 6/6/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trogdor
strange thing about cis is the milage, if u put a quote through at 10,000 and 5,000 miles there is very little difference, 20 pounds at best.

It probably wasnt a limited milage policy though. For normal insurance if you tell them 10k a year and you do 12k, they arnt going to be bothered. With a limited milage policy on a kitcar you have to tell them if you are going to go over the milage, but you get a lot bigger discount for limiting it.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

nitram38

posted on 6/6/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine through footman james today. The main advantage is that unlike flux, they do not cancel your policy if 30 days expire if you fail sva. Flux also do not refund you if that happens.
Footman also do a build policy that builds your no-claims while the car is garaged.
My insurance quote for a 1.4 ltr k series on 3000 limited fully comp, was £205. I am twice your age though!!!!!!!!!

mr_pr

posted on 6/6/06 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
it was for a 1.6 i think... Looked for a 1.3 but can't find any...

Seems i may have to just wait until i am 21... In april or speak to dad reallyl nicely!

Thanks

Ed

indykid

posted on 6/6/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
how old are you?
how many miles have you been asking for?

i'm 20, crashed my first indy in november, just about rebuilt now, and the renewal is £495. last year was £830 when i was 19.

1500 miles. 1.6 pinto indy, standard, standard, standard. exceptional quality of build though

1500 miles is the main thing. i didn't get chance to go over my mileage last year, but a new speedo is often cheaper than the extra 1500 miles. a switch in the feed works exceptionally well too!

tom

kitcarkris

posted on 6/6/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
WAIT, im only 19 and am insured on a 1.8 pinto and had an accident two years ago and (only) pay £525 this is with footman james, fully comp, including european breakdown, it is with a limited milage of only 1000 miles, they said if i hadn't had an accident i would have had insurance as low as £200 or £300, stupid accident. but it is possible to get cheap insurance just look around

insurance when i was 17 was £965 fully comp, i been driving it now for two years and slowly the premiums are going down

[Edited on 6/6/06 by kitcarkris]

DIY Si

posted on 6/6/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 22 and got soemthing in the region of £450 for 5k miles a year on a 1.8 scratch build. Most places wouldn't even look at it since it's not a 'kit car' from a recognised manufacturer.
flak monkey

posted on 6/6/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I will be trying to get quotes this summer to give me an idea of how much it will cost me.

will be 22 when i take out the actual policy, 2litre pinto, probably 6000mile fully comp.

I am guessing at about £500ish

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mr_pr

posted on 6/6/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, Footman James is the way. 4600 miles for £600 in 1.6...

Ed

tom_loughlin

posted on 6/6/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Im with Sureterm - £438 fully comp, i was 21 when i took out the policy, but got quotes when i was 20. I got no no-claims, but i live in the middle of nowhere, car is garaged, and 5000mls limited.

A nicething to note, is that any engine (as long as its under 2000cc (and naturally aspirated) is the same price.

Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.