Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which engine for a Rover 214?
ewanspence

posted on 9/6/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
which engine for a Rover 214?

I have the cnahce of getting an R reg 214 si for £100 with a burst head gasket?

Does the 1.4 metro engine fit as that would be as cheap as getting the head skimmed and a new gasket and probable a timing belt (If it has one).

Just thinking of getting it, fixing it then flog for a few hundred quid profit.

4 new tyres 11 months MOT, new radiator .... bargain I thought.

45k miles and the book is about £800 ish.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 9/6/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that all rover k series engines are made from the same basic block and can be transplanted at will from the 1.1 8V to the 1.8VVC and 1.8T. The T and VVC head will be bigger though so check they fit.

Early 214 8V engines were replaces by a "detuned" 16V on grounds of emissions. By detuned, they put a lug in the inlet manifold to stop the throttles opening fully and put a shorter throttle cable on it to make sure.

1 x new cable and a couple of minutes with a dremmel et voila.

nitram38

posted on 9/6/06 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I believe that all rover k series engines are made from the same basic block and can be transplanted at will from the 1.1 8V to the 1.8VVC and 1.8T. The T and VVC head will be bigger though so check they fit.

Early 214 8V engines were replaces by a "detuned" 16V on grounds of emissions. By detuned, they put a lug in the inlet manifold to stop the throttles opening fully and put a shorter throttle cable on it to make sure.

1 x new cable and a couple of minutes with a dremmel et voila.

Which lug?
I have the 1.4 16v in my car

Guinness

posted on 9/6/06 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
One of the NE7ER's put an ex Caterham 1.6 litre K series in his sons 214. That was a cool street sleeper, on twin carbs too!

Loads of people take out the 1.6 when changing to Zetecs / Duratecs etc, so they come up for sale quite often.

Mike

Baldrick

posted on 10/6/06 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
I 'inherited' an R reg 214si with a blown head gasket last year. Kept it for a bit planning to mend but never got around to it. In the end put it on eBay (fully explained condition and non-runner) and got £450 for it. That had no MOT, tax or anything and had done 98,000 miles. Maybe worth just doing that - save working on it yourself as it's not the easiest engine to get in & out - also allows more time for your build!

Bought by a guy down Moffat way who bought, did up & sold Rovers.

nitram38

posted on 10/6/06 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
I must have been lucky with mine. I bought a whole 21000 mile car for £400 (T-bone accident).
It provided me with engine, gearbox, driveshafts, wheel hubs, brakes, steering column, front/rear brakes, handbrake, exhaust manifold and cat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.