Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aluminum question!
kaizokuace

posted on 12/6/06 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
aluminum question!

ok so i decided i wanna do aluminum floor. Is it possible to do the floor and side panels in a single piece? is this even a good idea?
Vangelis7
Junior Builder

Posts 5
Registered 31/1/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: 2nd locost super7 Renault clio 1.8 16v Williams

posted on 12/6/06 at 04:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
The aluminum floor is not good idea, you have to use only steel in the floor, because is the best for the chassis.
At the side panels you can use aluminum.

Danozeman

posted on 12/6/06 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
you can use alli for the floor. Itl be much easier to do the sides and floor in seperate pieces to make folding etc easier and neater,

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Kodiak

posted on 12/6/06 at 05:31 AM Reply With Quote
Best to keep floor and sides seperate:
The floor needs to be thicker than the sides and generally is in a harder grade alloy with the sides being thinner and softer to make fitting much easier. Also the most commonly stocked sizes of sheet alloy are not large enough to do a wrap around.

[Edited on 12/6/06 by Kodiak]

leto

posted on 12/6/06 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelis7
Hi
The aluminum floor is not good idea, you have to use only steel in the floor, because is the best for the chassis.
At the side panels you can use aluminum.

You can use ali for the floor but riveting it correctly is not easy nor cheap. If you decide on a ali floor, glue it. Use some nice, strong, rock hard, structural stuff. I recommend steel floor on a road car.
There are numerous threads on the subject.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

the_fbi

posted on 12/6/06 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going to race it in any series, it has to be a steel floor.
viatron

posted on 12/6/06 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi

Not quite so i'm afraid, We are racing in the Tiger Racing Series and there is no requiremtn either by the series rules or blueblook for a steel floor.

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 12/6/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Both floor & sides are easily rivetted - just use large headed 5mm rivets on the floor panels for extra strength. The sides only require 4mm standard heads. Best to use PU adhesive too, ensuring less rattles and waterproofing.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth remembering that if you buy a Westfield kit, you'll get aluminium sheet for the floor...

In the end, it's whatever you fancy. Steel can be thinner (1.6mm) but can bow and distort when welded giving an 'oil-can' effect. Not a big issue if you're careful. It is tougher for a given thickness.

Aluminium has to be thicker to get reasonable strength for walking on it (3mm is common, I believe) so the weight saving isn't that significant - but it will be a little lighter. It will have to be riveted and/or bonded to the chassis - Westies use ordinary rivets every couple of inches, and not too many of their floors fall off in typical use!

If I was doing another chassis I'd probably use 3mm aluminium next time.

David

leto

posted on 12/6/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with a ali floor is to get it to work as the stressed chassis member it is (supposed to be). It is possible to achieve this by riveting, but I have never seen anyone with some deeper understanding of the problem say how and show some figures to back it.
You will find ali floors in many kits because it saves the manufacturer money and trouble, it also looks smart and sounds hi-tech. How well it works is another question.

The bond between the frame and the floor has to have, at least, the same E-modulus as the ali. Like some nice, strong, structural glue.

the_fbi

posted on 12/6/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by viatron
quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi

Not quite so i'm afraid, We are racing in the Tiger Racing Series and there is no requiremtn either by the series rules or blueblook for a steel floor.

Mac

Weird, there was a long thread on wscc about it, I'll have to dig it out.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/6/06 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leto
The problem with a ali floor is to get it to work as the stressed chassis member it is (supposed to be). It is possible to achieve this by riveting, but I have never seen anyone with some deeper understanding of the problem say how and show some figures to back it.

There is a danger of over-complicating things! There are hundreds, probably thousands of 7-style cars around with an aluminium floor that is rivetted on, maybe with some sealant. I am fairly confident that not many of these floors have fallen off, nor have these chassis suffered poor rigidity unduly in this period either.

David

JoelP

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
several people have used 1.6mm ally on the floor. Commonest method is rivets, and sikaflex to prevent movement wearing the holes bigger.
leto

posted on 13/6/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Over simplification is not without danger either. A ali floor will, in most cases, reduce the cars performance. Not to the point where it get dangerous or even easily noticed, but the lack in performance is still there. I don't think it is a bad thing to make people how have the choices of floor material aware of consequences that might not be obvious.

By the way, if you use ordinary rivets and sikaflex, 1.6mm ali is fine. The floor will take nearly no frame loads, so there is no need to bother with the extra wight and cost of a thicker plate for that reason.

Edit: Typo (one of them )

[Edited on 06-6-13 by leto]

RazMan

posted on 13/6/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thicker floor panels are still a good idea - you are going to be standing on them occasionally and you are less likely to leave dents where you tread.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.