Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bolt on siera shafts
Pezza

posted on 14/6/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
bolt on siera shafts

Need a pair of bolt on shafts with inner cv's to suit a 3.62 lsd.
looking to convrt my drum shafts to mate with the lsd i'm picking up next week.

Cheers

Ben

[Edited on 14-6-06 by Pezza]

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

bob

posted on 14/6/06 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ben

I've got a spare pair under the bench,i would advise a clean up and repack with CV grease but the rubber boots are ok.

What are they worth ?

Make me an offer

natehall

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pezza
Need a pair of bolt on shafts with inner cv's to suit a 3.62 lsd.
looking to convrt my drum shafts to mate with the lsd i'm picking up next week.

Cheers

Ben

[Edited on 14-6-06 by Pezza]

I have a pair of inners, with the shafts cut as i was thinking of doing the same, make me an offer on them if you want them

If it aint broke, uprate it
if it is broke, uprate it

http://www.modders-uk.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pezza

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
just had the rubber boot off one of my push in shafts and it looks like a tripod setup in the diff end, so not sure if i'll be able to convert them now :S
Not sure what to do now.... either convert to rear disks which'll mean new rear uprights and another few hundred quid all told for rear calipers and the like, or not bother with a limmited slip diff and just use the open one.

Will I notice much difference between lsd and open in an r1 Indy do you think?
Ben

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

natehall

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pezza
just had the rubber boot off one of my push in shafts and it looks like a tripod setup in the diff end, so not sure if i'll be able to convert them now :S
Not sure what to do now.... either convert to rear disks which'll mean new rear uprights and another few hundred quid all told for rear calipers and the like, or not bother with a limmited slip diff and just use the open one.

Will I notice much difference between lsd and open in an r1 Indy do you think?
Ben

i also have a spare pair of drum driveshafts

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flat Pack

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
All the push in drive shafts have a tripode joint at both ends. If your drum brake driveshafts are from a 2.0l Sierra, then you can just take off the tripode joint and fit a lobro (bolt on) one to that end instead.

In my experience if your push in shafts are from any other engine size, it doesn't work as the splines on the shaft are too small.

natehall

posted on 14/6/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flat Pack
All the push in drive shafts have a tripode joint at both ends. If your drum brake driveshafts are from a 2.0l Sierra, then you can just take off the tripode joint and fit a lobro (bolt on) one to that end instead.

In my experience if your push in shafts are from any other engine size, it doesn't work as the splines on the shaft are too small.

the diff and the shafts are the same on push in drive shaft cars regardless of enginesize on the sierra

Pezza

posted on 14/6/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chaps, i'll have a go at getting it off tomorrow then, given up for the night now as i'm off down the pub shortly
Just couldn't see anyway of getting the bugger off when I looked was all lol

Ben

Flat Pack

posted on 14/6/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natehall
the diff and the shafts are the same on push in drive shaft cars regardless of enginesize on the sierra

I've got 3 different sets of driveshafts that says they're not

natehall

posted on 14/6/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flat Pack
quote:
Originally posted by natehall

I've got 3 different sets of driveshafts that says they're not

are you sure its not related to year and not engine size?

Flat Pack

posted on 15/6/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Could be related to year I guess. When I was looking into doing this swap it seemed to be accepted as fact that all the driveshafts had the same splined ends (except the v early 1.3 ones), but they don't appear to.

I've got a set from a 1.3, they're a lot smaller than the others. I've also got a set from a 1.8 CVH engined car that I thought I should be able to fit lobro joints to, but couldn't. The Sierra Lobro joints are all 26 splines, but the (non 1.3) tripode ones can be 23 splines or 26. They look the same externally though.

People here that have done the swap succesfully seemed to be using tripode shafts from a 2.0l, so I assumed the engine size made the difference.

This is probably confusing things now though. Yes you can swap the lobro joints onto a tripode jointed shaft, provided you've got the right driveshaft.... Only way to be really sure is to split one of the CV joints covers and take a look afaik.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.