Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Puncture & No Spare Wheel??
wilkingj

posted on 16/6/06 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Puncture & No Spare Wheel??

hi ho..

What doe the team think of this. Its a pocket plugger for effecting a mushroom type repair on a tubeless tyre.
Linky thinggy

There are several good things on this site. The plugger is very compact and reuseable unlike the tins of squirty fix stuff.

Does anyone have experience of this product?.. if so whats it like.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 16/6/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not used a DIY version, but repairs using glued in bungs (for want of a better term) are common at tyre places in Canada and gave me no problems.

The cans of foam need to be cleaned out before a long term repair can be made, not sure if you could treat any of the on the road repair kits as permanent but it would be useful if you could.

Bryan Sears

posted on 16/6/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
If Cambridge is in another country have a go.
If Cambridge is still in the UK and you have an accident with a tyre with a plug in it some big boys will drag you off and remove your small bits.

iank

posted on 16/6/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
So it's perfectly safe in another country, but not in Cambridge. Strange...

You do know Lotus supply the cans of spray gloop with the Elise, much safer I'm sure.

muzchap

posted on 16/6/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If Cambridge is still in the UK and you have an accident with a tyre with a plug in it some big boys will drag you off and remove your small bits.

So you're saying that any repaired tyre then involved in accident - is due to the tyres fault?

What happened if the driver was off his face on drugs - ooh it was definitely the tyre plug officer, no no, not E's... tyre plugs!

Call me cynical - but that's just scaremongering

I love being proved wrong though (and often am!!! )

And I like the look of it and will def consider it - the foam stuff IIRC ruins the wheel forever??? (can anyone clarify?). Therefore these plugs look just the job!

Nice find Geoff

[Edited on 16/6/06 by muzchap]

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

whitestu

posted on 16/6/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had a tyre fixed in France with one of these.

The tyre wasn't actually flat - just had a nail in it. The guy put the plug in without even letting the air out, and it lasted until the tyre wore out.

Stu

Chippy

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I know that plugs used to be fitted by tyre repair garages in the past, but for some reason were considered unsafe by "the powers to be", and were stopped being used some years ago. If you want proof definate, go ask any tyre repair place. Definately a No No. atb Chippy.
BKLOCO

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
I know that plugs used to be fitted by tyre repair garages in the past, but for some reason were considered unsafe by "the powers to be", and were stopped being used some years ago. If you want proof definate, go ask any tyre repair place. Definately a No No. atb Chippy.

Perhaps you should tell "National Tyre" This is exactly how they repaired my tyre a couple of weeks ago.
With respect. I think you may have this wrong.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

muzchap

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm so that's

2 pro plugs are banned

and a couple pro plugs are not banned!

I love the clarity of this forum

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

BKLOCO

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
LINK to Pirelli site

Chippy

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
BKLOCO, that is always a posability, may even be a probability. My post was only based on what I was told by our local tyre repair shop, cost me a new tyre, don't tell me the b*****d conned me. Hey ho, its only money, (MINE). atb Chippy
BKLOCO

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
My local tyre repair place told me that he could not repair my tyre at all for reasons that sounded ludicrous (spelling?) I didn't accept his logic so went to National tyre and was told the original bloke was talking Bo****ks.
As you say It's only money...Unfortunately it's allways ours...

owelly

posted on 16/6/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC there are certain areas of the tyre that cannot be plugged. If it's damaged in the sidewall or within 10mm of it, the tyre is scrap. It's also illegal to fit a tube to a tubeless tyre. Something to do with the surface of the inside of a tubeless tyre being different to tubed one and that heat gets generated and the tyre fails and it kills you, your family, all the neighbours and a school full of kids. Probably.
Or do tyre companies just want to sell more tyres??
I remember my Grandad fixing tyres with leather bootlace and rubber glue. Tyre still on the car!
As for the Tyreweld (and similar), that stuff makes a nasty mess of the wheel and tyre which can make fitting a new tyre a sticky business. Thats why sometyre emporiums don't like them!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.