Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exempt frontal area
JohnN

posted on 23/6/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Exempt frontal area

I'm having to refit my front indicators ready for sva next Friday, as they were too far from the edge of the car (back wider than front by 4" per side) just realised this in time!

In doing so they are on 9" long stalks that have to be high and at the front of the nosecone to miss the wheels on full lock.

It's just occured to me that in their present position they will form the bottom of the car when tested with the 30 degree cone etc.

Does this mean that the wishbones, track rods et are all exempt from measure, as they are all behind and below this definition of the base of the car?

Anybody got any SVA experience of this?

JohnN

BKLOCO

posted on 23/6/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yep! Thats exactly what happened to me at Chelmsford Essex SVA centre.
All the suspension was classed as exempt as the stalks raised the effective floor line.
I have heard of people failing though because the tester said that the stalks were not "structural" I think this was the examiner "interpreting" the rules to suit himself though.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

smart51

posted on 23/6/06 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
My SVA tester expressed surprised that I've mounted mine so low for exactly this reason. I've covered up all the sharp edges though.
whitestu

posted on 23/6/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Can you explain how this would make the suspension etc. exempt?

Thanks

Stu

JohnN

posted on 23/6/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
There's a definition of what the bottom of the car is in the SVA regs, everything below the base is exempt from the contactable surface rules.

The definition is to push a tall 30 degree (to the vertical) cone up against the external perimeter of the car, where it touches is then defined as the base

I've just bonded in a one piece tube, passing through the nosecone at the very top, front corners, ref structural - mine will be very stiff - no flex at all.

The best of all is that my bike indicators from Vehicle Wiring Products, slip inside the tube (and will be held in with a grub screw at the back) wiring passing through the tube and out of some holes I made, inside the nosecone.

See attached pic

[img]http://[/img]

[Edited on 23/6/06 by JohnN]

scoop

posted on 23/6/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
This is why Dax do the indicators with a rigidly fixed steel tube. Theirs is ugly, yours looks better John
the_fbi

posted on 23/6/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
The definition is to push a tall 30 degree (to the vertical) cone up against the external perimeter of the car, where it touches is then defined as the base

Can you bodge a diagram onto your picture to describe this?

JohnN

posted on 23/6/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bodge a diagram!

Here's the page from the SVA manual

[img]http://[/img]

BKLOCO

posted on 24/6/06 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
In case you're still having trouble as the description in the manual is somewhat missleading IMHO.
If you look at Diag 1.
Anything BELOW the point where the cone touches the body work DOES NOT have to comply with the radius requirements. ie. The bumper in this diagram.
Therefore. If the point that cone FIRST touches the car is the indicator bar, and that said indicator bar is ABOVE and AHEAD of the suspension components then they are ALL EXEMPT.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

whitestu

posted on 24/6/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at JohnN's pic of his car, wouldn't the nose cone be the first thing the sphere hit, not the indicators?

Stu

the_fbi

posted on 24/6/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Looking at JohnN's pic of his car, wouldn't the nose cone be the first thing the sphere hit, not the indicators?

Stu

Key part of the text above Fig 2.

Where an item (other than the body) is contactable by the cone such that the floor line is determined by that item (ie in this example the rear fog lamp), the floor line will be taken to be that applicable had the component not been fitted; However over the width of the component the floor line will become the lower edge of the component. (See Fig.2)

[Edited on 24/6/06 by the_fbi]

whitestu

posted on 24/6/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I understand now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.