Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling the Tintop...
bigandy

posted on 26/6/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Selling the Tintop...

Afternoon all.

Me and SWMBO are thinking of selling our daily driver and buying something new. I;ve only ever sold worn out bangers before, so can anyone give me a feww pointers for selling a 2.75 year old Skoda fabia Vrs?

I've had a look round Autotrader and Parkers for an approximate value (the car is in very good condition, clean inside and out, with full service history and no problems in the past). So I have a rough idea of what it is worth.

We are looking to buy a car in replacement, so I am leaning towards part-ex, although from what I can tell, this tends to undervalue the car slightly.

Any suggestions would be appreicated cheers!

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Just

posted on 26/6/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
In my limited experience of selling it comes down to time. If you are not in a rush to sell it, start with the cheap options, like a sign in the window, local rag advertising, card in the local shop, asking around the local neighbours etc. If that doesn't shift it after a month or so, then step up to the county rag, friday ads etc. Then after that go all out on a full ad in the major directories.
nick205

posted on 26/6/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I prefer to sell cars privately through Autotrader as you can generally get a better price for it, then go and spend your money on what you want.

On the downside you do normally have to put up with numpty people who haven't read the advert or thought about the car they're looking at.

eg. when selling a previous 205 GTi using a colour photo slot in Autotrader clearly showing that the car is white and then reinforcing the point by including the words "Alpine White" in the description and then someone turining up to look at it and being disappointed that it's white

joneh

posted on 26/6/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
wack it on ebay! I sold my old Corsa on it with no problems. Is expensive though, and I wouldn't accept paypal on it!

Jon Ison

posted on 26/6/06 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
its not expensive too sell on ebay if you list it in accessories rather than motors...............

dave dickson

posted on 26/6/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Like you, I had only really ever sold older cars. The new Daewoo Matiz I won was traded in and I didnt get that great a price for it.

Anyway, I have just inherited a 2 year old Corolla with only 9k miles on it. I asked the toyota dealership if they would buy it back - got a flat refusal. I asked a load of local second-hand garages whos adverts always state they buy good low milage cars and they offered me a pittance for it.

I put it into Autotrader for 2 weeks and had 1 genuine enquiry and dozens of calls from agencies.

Put it on ebay and it went for a decent enough price. Guy is flying up on Friday to collect it.

Time was against me though, I need it gone asap so couldnt really hold out for a higher price. The final price on ebay is still about a £1000 - £1500 under what I have seen others advertised for. Whether these others actually sell at the higher price I dont know though.

At the other end of the market - My sisters crappy old astra is up for sale at £500 and the bloody phone wont stop ringing.

Now living in the South of France. Woohoo!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.