Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator wiring plug?
ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Alternator wiring plug?

Got a replacement alternator of the same size and type of that it is replacing except its from a different donor (kubota as opposed to charade) and it has a different wiring plug. The connections are labelled 'P', 'IG' and 'L' the previous one only had two connectors, ignition and lamp which I'm assuming is what the IG and L are for. So what is the P for, do I need it and where can I find a plug to fit it as the terminals are too small for the spades I used on the previous one.

Here is a pic of a similar alternator to illustrate the connector type, it doesn't look like the standard bosch type connector, guessing some small jap/whatever nippondenso use type?!

cheers,

Ned.

[Edited on 10/7/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would take a guess that the 'P' is for a positive feed, or maybe a voltage sensor (if the 'IG' isn't)
I've got a similar issue with my Denso alternator which I am still trying to figure out properly.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ned, have you tried Vehicle Wiring Products for the connector and terminals - they're normally pretty helpful with stuff like that. My alternator came from Kubota tractor engine too, but sounds llike the one you are replacing as I have been able to use spade terminals to connect to it.

VWP Website

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick,

Yes most of the kubota/nippon denso models just have two normal spades set at 90 degrees which are easy to wire too. This also confused me as to why this one has 3 connectors as the last one was identical bar the wiring terminals and onyl had 2 terminals on it.
I have a copy of the VRP catalogue on my desk but they all look like bosch connectors in there, none of them look 'right' to me.

cheers,

Ned.

I think i'll get a better pic of the connector socket tonight which might help.

[Edited on 10/7/06 by ned]

silex

posted on 10/7/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure you do not need to connect up P. I use a denso with 3 pins and have never bothered connecting it up with no ill effect. The connector looks similar to the one I fitted which is an AMP connector. The AMP part number is 6189-0442 for mine and you may be able to check if you go to the AMP connector website and look at the drawings of the connector.

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Tried the part number but its not coming up with any mayches, what website are you using?

cheers,

Ned.

ned

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a close-up of the connector on the alternator:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/aIMG_2461.jpg

I hadn't realised how much smaller the new alternator is compared to the charade one that is broken!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/aIMG_2464.jpg

Ned.

RazMan

posted on 10/7/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, those terminals look as if they might take the very narrow crimp-on spade connectors

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

silex

posted on 11/7/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry fo the delay, I only seem to get on here during my dinner these days.

Appologies for the part number, the one I gave you is for a full assembly and not shown on the website. The part number should have been 174357-2.

See the link below

174357-2

The connector is a Tyco/Amp Econoseal J Mark II+

If you look half way down the page on the left where it says " Product drawing " the link will open a engineering drawing in PDF format.

Hope that helps.

Murphy's 2 laws

ned

posted on 11/7/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the link silex but looking at the pdf I'm still not sure it would fit, it looks a better match in the catalogue pdf than the individual one Any idea where I can order one from? I'm also going to order some 2.8mm spades from vrp and see if they are anywhere near though I think they might be too large.

cheers,

Ned.

[Edited on 11/7/06 by ned]

silex

posted on 13/7/06 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ned, I have found the spare one I had - U2U me your details and I will post it to you.

Murphy's 2 laws

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.