Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: building my own chassis
waterrat

posted on 10/7/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
building my own chassis

Hi there, I’m Dave, I’m about to start work on my own project and would like some advice. I’m building a trike loosely based on the project on this web forum http://www.rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4971&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I have the donor bike and a very good idea as to what I need to do.

Here’s where I hope you can help me. When I have built the frame do I need to get it looked at by a surveyor before I assemble the trike for the sva.

Also I am planning on building the frame out of steel box section, what would be the best size tube to use for a balance between weight and strength. I have been looking at 40mm box section.

DIY Si

posted on 10/7/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
As per the sva, there's no need to get the chassis independantly checked, unless you wish to do so for piece of mind. Oh, and welcome to the mad house.
Confused but excited.

posted on 10/7/06 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Definately go for box section tube, that masking tape looks a bit flimsy.
Sorry, couldn't resist it.
IMHO I would think 1"x1"x16g as used for the locost would be more than adequate.

[Edited on 10/7/06 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

paulf

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Check the three wheeler section on this site , the builder posts in there a lot and theres lots of information on the car.
just build to comply with the SVA regs and you do not need to do anything else before having it tested.

Paul.

JoelP

posted on 10/7/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=19598
waterrat

posted on 11/7/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
thats the trike

thanks jolep, i've been working from the photos on the swedish forum, trying to work out what the guy has been writing using an internet translator. atlast i can get some technical details from the post he has posted and hopefuly get him to awnser some of my questions.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.