Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rear wheel drive donor car
waterrat

posted on 11/7/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
rear wheel drive donor car

hi there i'm building a twin wheeled front end trike and need to find a donar car for the steering rack. can anyone recomend a make and modle of rear wheel drive car that i could strip the steering rack out of. power steering would be a plus.

also dose anyone know where i might find a pair of electric wheel motors that i could use to solve the lack of reverse gear on my motorcycle engine.

spunky

posted on 11/7/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Why not use the rack from the donor of your hubs and uprights. Not too difficult to modify the track.
Power steering will be virtually impossible as the pumps are driven from the engine, not much call for it on bikes! But it won't be necessary anyway on such a light vehicle.

Reverse kits are available for bec's but not sure about 2f1r bike trikes, or how you would go about it. I wouldn't worry about reverse, not many people bother and it's not required for SVA.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

carcentric

posted on 13/7/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spunky
. . . Reverse kits are available for bec's but not sure about 2f1r bike trikes, or how you would go about it. . . . John

The Morgan-style trikes often use an extra car starter motor for reverse. The simplest mechanism would mount the starter on a pivot above the propshaft (pulleys on starter and propshaft) - then when you pull the slack out of the v-belt and energize the motor at the same time, why Bob's yer reverse uncle (did I use that correctly?).

If you have the engine behind you, though, the starter would have to be applied directly to the rear wheel (tougher to engineer, I'd think).

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.