Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 Oil
darrens

posted on 12/7/06 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 Oil

Hello,

This has prob been talked about before, I've done a quick search but can't find owt.

Can ayone recommend a good oil for the Rover V8, I know these can suffer from low oil pressure when hot and at tickover.

Don't want to have one eye on the oil pressure as that would mean both eyes are off the road, other eye is looking at fuel gauge!!

Cheers

caber

posted on 12/7/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ddepends a lot on age and mileage of engine. An old one, 1970s and 80s will need a thicker oil and do not like the modern stuff. 1990s are quite happy on the newer thinner oils with high tech properties. If you have a "new" rebuilt engine treat as a new car engine possibly use running in oil.

These engines do have a habit of leaking oil, the valley gasket is a prime candidate particularly the rubber seals at the end also the front cover has some long bolts that go through the cover to the block and into the oil ways, these need a special loctite to seal them up. This habit is aggravated on older engines by using thinner oil.

Best of luck!

Caber
( with very leaky Range Rover V8!)

britishtrident

posted on 12/7/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely on the 4 pot Rover 820 T16 engine they leak less oil from the head gasket area with thinner grade oils.
andyharding

posted on 12/7/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Strangely on the 4 pot Rover 820 T16 engine they leak less oil from the head gasket area with thinner grade oils.

No doubt due to lower oil pressure.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

wilkingj

posted on 12/7/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I use straight 20/50 in mine. It doesnt like 10/40 grade.
I have a fully recon'd engine, ground crank, rebore new pistons, ALL new bearings Cam, and followers, new oil pump etc etc. 50psi when cold, and 15-20 psi on tickover when hot.

I used duckhams to run in, and am now using some 20/50 from my local motor factors, which seems to have better characteristics over the Duckhams.

Rover V8's prefer a good volume of oil flow rather than lots of pressure.
Again, pressure drops when hot.
I am also thinking of some bonnet vents and exhaust wrap, as the temperature rises when in slow traffic in town. and is fine on the open road. Mind you its been damn HOT lately!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 12/7/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
using 20/50 i think ( the red one ) from halfrauds mine seems to like it.

I have found that the later composite vally gasget work better than the tin ones.

Re the cooling still wotking on that exhaust wrap helps hugely but i need more vents out

regards

agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

RWDKurt

posted on 12/7/06 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I use Valvoline Racing 20/50 in mine. It was recommended by my engine builder and up to now it's been great. I have an occasional problem with a noisy lifter which is probably nothing to do with the oil itself.

As already stated it's better not to use oils with a 40 grade when hot. I may try Millers CSS next time - they do a 10/60.

Kurt

mark chandler

posted on 13/7/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I,ve run these for years, it depends on the front cover.

If you have the old oil pump (distributor driven unless a really late 3.9) you want something like castrol GTX or its equivilent. Because these sludge up quickly I used a quality diesel oil, millers semi sync from memory.

Later engines with a much better oil pump are good on later synthetic oils, Landrover recommend 10/40 sync in P38 4.0's and 4.6's.

Regards Mark

02GF74

posted on 13/7/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
these are 50s technology. don't waste money on fancy/£££ synthetics etc: plain old 20/50 but replace more frequently, 3k to 5 k. cheaper and run best on those.
darrens

posted on 13/7/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for advice

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.