Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Video playback screenshot
Hellfire

posted on 14/7/06 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Video playback screenshot

Hiya's...

I wonder if you could advise me...

How can I play an mpg back using Media Player or Winamp, freeze the action then take a screenshot of the frozen image. I've never been able to do it?

I'm assuming the frozen picture resides in video RAM and the screen in RAM as I can't get the frozen image to appear as a saved jpg or whatever... most annoying!

Any help would be great - freeware is preferable as I've never tried it before and don't predict using it in the future. FYI I've tried MWSnap and Capturi...

Your assisance would be most welcome...

Steve

UncleFista

posted on 14/7/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Errr, hit "print screen" and paste it into Paint Shop Pro etc. ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

donut

posted on 14/7/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Play the vid, pause it then hit the 'print screen' button. Open in image editor, crop to suit and save as an image.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 14/7/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
you just want a screen shot - easy.

if you want the entire desktop click "print screen" (its on the keyboard somewhere, usually to the right of the F keys F1 to F12.

If you just want the contents of the video play, make sure its the active application (blue boarder on the title bar) and click either ...... ctrl - printscreen or alt - printscreen. I can never remember which, think its alt.

open up paint shop and paste into a new image - bob's your uncle you've now got the screen dump. If hte image is smaller than the original - ie you're left with white borders then ........ create a new image, resize that to smaller than your screen grab and then paste.

Good luck, do this a lot when being forced to write user installation guides at work

Tim 45

posted on 14/7/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
lol, the same advice from three people, within 3 minutes of each other.

MikeR

posted on 14/7/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
mine took longer to write, i started first
RichardK

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you press and hold down the ALT key whilst pressing the print screen it only copies the active window.

Handy if you write manuals and saves loads of cropping.

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_w11
Junior Builder

Posts 45
Registered 20/12/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: A bookish chassis. Engine still undecided.

posted on 14/7/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if it's just me but doing that from winamp just gives a black space when I paste it into photoshop or some paint package.

To capture frames of video I use VirtualDub .

RichardK

posted on 14/7/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Works fine on Winamp 5.21

Maybe try a later version

Cheers

Rich

Hellfire

posted on 14/7/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
As a trained operative of Photoshop CS - the first 7 answers are wrong using a Video File (mpg) in Winamp or Media player screen dump. I understand the concept of using screen dumps as I use them regularly for training applications, but it doesn't and has never worked with Video.

If you try it you will see what I mean... it does exactly what dave_w11 says!

[Edited on 14-7-06 by Hellfire]

Hellfire

posted on 14/7/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think I have sorted it - I've imported a few frames into Adobe ImageReady and done it that way... thanks for the steers!

My current version of Winamp 5.21 gives me the same results - a black screen!

Anyone with a clue why it does this?

Hellfire

posted on 14/7/06 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Finally - imported to ImageReady copied frames and exported to Photoshop where I can save as jpg. As so.... Rescued attachment Hellfire_Cadwell.jpg
Rescued attachment Hellfire_Cadwell.jpg

chockymonster

posted on 14/7/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
most of the video playing software has stuff in it to stop you nicking screenshots from it which is why you end up with a blank screen on some footage, it all depends on how it's been encoded.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Hellfire

posted on 15/7/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
most of the video playing software has stuff in it to stop you nicking screenshots from it which is why you end up with a blank screen on some footage, it all depends on how it's been encoded.

But it's MY original video - does it still apply???

millenniumtree

posted on 16/7/06 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
The reason behind this is something to do with the video card acceleration. Playing in a different layer than the one that gets captured by print screen.

That's my theory anyway.

dave_w11
Junior Builder

Posts 45
Registered 20/12/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: A bookish chassis. Engine still undecided.

posted on 16/7/06 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
That looks to be the case because if you untick "Allow hardware video overlay" in General Preferences -> Video print screen works fine.
Tim 45

posted on 16/7/06 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I tried this and got a blank screen, until i moved around the window, and mysteriously it came into view. However if you save it it does the same thing. Im of the opinion as mentioned earlier its to do with layers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.