Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race paint schemes
oliwb

posted on 31/7/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Race paint schemes

Sorry to bring it up again but I'm thinking of a little winter project for the Tiger. I'd like to incorporate some sort of race livery for it, but I really want to keep the british racing green as a main colour. I know it looks good with canary yellow stone guards and high lights but too many people have done that. My best plan yet (hopefully) is attached, but I'd love to see what other people can come up with before I commit to buying paints etc! Cheers Oli.

Ps.
Anyone got a contact for someone to make up coloured vinyl graphics such as the castrol ones? Rescued attachment lemans-2005-24h-eg-0409.jpg
Rescued attachment lemans-2005-24h-eg-0409.jpg

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 31/7/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
No idea if these guys make their own, but worth an email.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/I-Say-Ding-Dong-Decals-Stickers

procomp

posted on 1/8/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi we have spent years tring to make a 7 type car stand out on the cicuit just so you can see where it is in the pack . The only colours that work are bright bold ones. To be honest i dont think that a 7 type in brg even with bright bits added will stand out at all as we tried it with as you say bright yellows but the car just dosent stand out . But if you are looking to livery the car in a scheme that you like and are not to botherd making it stick out then as your picture shows there are some great ways of using brg as the main colour.

Just my 2p worth.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 1/8/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Skippad is a graphics man.

Im sure there is another couple of graphics people on here as well but cant remember the names.

I also have a company in my town called creative grahics that can do the printed stickers.

Ive seen a westy with a vinyl wrap - looked great. I made my own tiger/zebra-esque stripes from sign writers vinyl. It is surprisingly easy to do free forms and worth a try before committing to paint.

Hellfire

posted on 1/8/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Why not try ringing the marketing department at Castrol to see if you can get some stickers FOC. It's free advertising for them and they must have loads of promo stuff such as stickers etc to give away.

Just a thought

Phil

Joe T

posted on 1/8/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I liked this design when I saw it.

I know its not a seven type body but it is different!

Cheers

Joe T
Costin Roadster Project
Work in progress

oliwb

posted on 2/8/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I'll get onto Castrol and I might try and find out what the paint colours are that Aston Martin use on the lemans car to copy. I'm not planning on racing the car or anything so not worried about it sticking out from the crowd on a track just wont something a bit different but still based on BRG as I like the colour and its classic really! Cheers Oli.

DIY Si

posted on 2/8/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
If you want I could try asking my dad if he can get soem answers for you. He works for Ontime, who are the people that move Aston Martin around europe. He might not be able to get any info, but he should be able to ask the pit crew/team people. If he sees them.
Hellfire

posted on 2/8/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just a point of note;

The red paint around the grill on the Aston, together with the headlights make it look quite mean and menacing. Do the similar paint scheme on the front end of a seven and it'll look like a startled frog who's just had a straw shoved up it's arse

Phil

ned

posted on 2/8/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
there are a few caterhams about that havea ring of colour around the nose that turns into a line up the bonnet, i personally think it looks quite good...

Ned.

this sort of thing:

its the height of the caterham lights that gives it the scared frog look imho, its only the later cars with smaller/lower headlights and wider track that start to loose the froggyness a bit.

and another:
http://picnic.ciao.com/uk/11965.jpg
this looks this biz:
http://www.carandclassic.com/uploads/new/2739.jpg

[Edited on 2/8/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

Hellfire

posted on 2/8/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
The Caterham does look good but if the silver was replaced with the same shade of red (without the line up the bonnet) that Aston have used it would look daft IMHO

Phil

DIY Si

posted on 2/8/06 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
It'd probably look ok if the front bit was just inside the nose cone and stopped at the front edge of the curved recess.
oliwb

posted on 2/8/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Si that would be awesome if you could ask...I e-mailed both Castrol and Aston Martin about the paint schemes and decals and both were very quick to get back in touch. Castrol will supply there stickers and are sending me some complete with a baseball cap! I didn't tell them that I don't use castrol oils! Aston Martin said that they weren't sure but would try to get me a paint code and get back to me....they did say that its dupont paint they use though which was usefull! I sought of agree with the straw up frogs bum and think'll photoshop it before I commit to anything more permanent. I love the look of the line up the bonnet. Have seen a few tigers with BRG and yellow outline and stripe that look brilliant and would be my backup solution but theres just too many and I'd like to stand out from the crowd a bit anyway! I'll let you know when I hear anymore from anyone and if I decide to go ahead with it or not.....Cheers Oli.

caber

posted on 2/8/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Oli What is wrong with Clasic lotus racing scheme
can't post image in my photo archive as Lotus 49
This is The Classic Lotus 49 before it went gold leaf colours, the Grand prix Livery through the 60s dead right for a seven clone!

Caber

[Edited on 8/2/2006 by caber]

[Edited on 8/2/2006 by caber]

caber

posted on 2/8/06 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
There! Rescued attachment Lotus 49.jpg
Rescued attachment Lotus 49.jpg

oliwb

posted on 3/8/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I love the BRG/yellow paint scheme, but:
Alas there are so many sevens out there and I really want to do a proper race livery but something that uses BRG and looks a bit different......Oli. Rescued attachment DSCN1113.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN1113.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.