Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bedford Autodrome
John Bonnett

posted on 7/8/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Bedford Autodrome

muzchap's post on a trackday at Bedford brought it all flooding back to me. I worked as an Instructor for Jonathan Palmer for a number of years until our move down to Devon 4 years ago put a stop to it. Working there was like every day was your Birthday and Christmas all rolled into one. Believe me I would have done the job for nothing. After spending a fortune on motorsport here I was actually getting paid to do something that I enjoyed more than anything.

I had the opportunity to drive at racing speeds a whole range of very fast and exotic machinery but my favourite was always the Caterham which in the scheme of things there was pretty humble. It generally ranked highest with the guests as well. The Caterhams had their own purpose built circuit, tight, twisty and demanding, so much fun in the wet! Before the guests arrived the Instructors would vie with each other to set the fastest lap under the guise of bedding in brakes or scrubbing the release agent off tyres! Hooning by the instructors was strictly forbidden (okay for the guests who had paid £600 + VAT) but not for us. However we had great fun as did the Chief Instructor in trying to catch us at it.

For me, it was inspirational to sit beside the likes of Justin Wilson, Oliver Gavin and a host of lads who didn't look old enough to hold a driving licence. Their car control was something one could only dream of, absolutely fantastic.

If you have an opportunity of doing a full TMS day at Bedord, I know it is expensive but you are driving for a very long time and it is worth every penny just do it. You will not regret it I promise.

Have a look at the website and tell me you are not tempted.
http://www.palmersport.com/

John

ecosse

posted on 7/8/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds brilliant, but at that kind of money and distance (based Scotland) it is unlikely for me.
It sounds like dream job though

Cheers

Alex

Doofus

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
John,
Was it your full time job or part time? It does sound like an ideal career move..

Muzchap and I have done 3 track days there in the last year, two Caterham days and one Saturday all day event. The instructors there are superb and have always helped with getting round the fastest way.
By far the best days are the Autocar evenings… Less cars and more sensible drivers but more expensive

I've had Alex as an instructor twice (he's the oldest (sorry Alex)) and after he's talked to you about your braking and lines through the corners just makes you want to go out and drive the best you can. Very encouraging!!

The hand signals are the funnyest. Trying to tell someone how to drive in a locost at over 100mph without a screen and helmets on is tricky at best.

Paul.

[Edited on 7/8/06 by Doofus]

muzchap

posted on 7/8/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

Oops feel a little guilty now - bringing it up!

I love the idea of having to outwit the Chief Instructor to get a few laps in - would be ace

As Doof's said really, very professional, loved the evening events better and everybody connected to the circuit couldn't be more professional / helpful!

The Instructors really know their stuff and make you feel great about driving fast.

Perhaps we should organise a locost day/evening?

Murray

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

shortie

posted on 7/8/06 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bedford is a great circuit, like driving on a real race circuit but with loads and loads of run-off, did it a couple of times in the Elise.

Only problem is that with the blade I can't get the noise down enough to do it

Rich.

John Bonnett

posted on 7/8/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Doofus, it was my full time job and the amazing thing was that it just got better and better. I worked there for 4 years and never once did I not want to go to work. Every day was different, every day a challenge.

I think Alex referred to is Alex (Laboratoire) Garnier. An all round good chap and excellent Kart driver.

JP has built his business around attention to detail and set out to be the best and in that I am sure he has succeeded.

The main thing that separates TMS from any other corporate event is in the amount of time you get at the wheel. There is absolutely no padding and to keep you occupied while waiting your turn he has Karting, Off-Road and Pitstop Challenge. I know this sounds like an advert for JP but for an employee who sees everything behind the scenes to enthuse I think is quite rare.

John

greggors84

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'm working for JP part time now John, although its for FPA, so not at Bedford so much, ive been doing a bit of full time up there recently turning the cars around.

The instructors do seem to have the best jobs!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Scubastu

posted on 13/8/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I went there and did the Motorsport Sensation day in 2002. It was a prize from work...day off too!
Got fastest lap in Clio and 2nd place for whole day...by 1 POINT!
One of my mates worked there at that time.
When were you there?

John Bonnett

posted on 14/8/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I worked there from 1998 to the end of 2002. I might even have been instructing on Clios when you were there.

Really glad you enjoyed your day. You did really well to be runner up driver of the day.

I expect having won the Clio event that was probably your favourite but how did you rate the Caterhams?

By the way, what is your mate's name who works there?

alb

John

Scubastu

posted on 19/8/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, Clio was my favourite (86.41), along with the FPA and VX220. The Caterhams were lots of fun too, especially the last corner...foot hard down in a drift!
I'd recommend it to anyone. Bit pricey if you have to pay, but worth it for the track time in someone elses cars!
My mates who worked there was Stuart Saggers. I went to school with his brother and worked with him at Rollcentre Racing where I used to 'play' with Shorty's TVR Tuscan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.