Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS vs Solid rear with at least 350hp
carsonp

posted on 13/8/06 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
IRS vs Solid rear with at least 350hp

Im trying to plan out a LSX/T56 in a locost and i cant decide on what type of rear suspension would be best.

My original thought was C4 or C5 vette IRS or something, then i was thinking it its gonna be hard enough as it is to hook with 350hp and almost equal TQ so maybe a nice strong solid rear would be best (4 link maybe?)

What do you think?

smdl

posted on 13/8/06 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
Carson,

Being that this group is UK based, you might have more success with some of the US resources. Try:

Locost North America Yahoo! Group

There is a lot of great information in that group, although most lean towards building Locosts light and nimble instead of with brute performance. One guy in particular (Ted Saton) has built some interesting V8 powered cars.

Another good option would be the forum at:

Locost USA

Hope this helps.

Shaun

wilkingj

posted on 13/8/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen the Luego LV350 Viento Chassis (I have a std Viento), and its braced up much more than the std Viento. Its designed to take the Small Block Chevvy 5.7Litre 350Bhp Engine. The Std Viento is more or less an overgrown locost, but the LV350 is a fair bit different.

If you are putting 350Bhp in a locost chassis, I would strongly suggest some extra bracing and strengthening.
350Bhp (and the torque) is a lot for a chassis that was originally designed for 100bhp / Crossflow engines.

You will also need Disc brakes all round, and Cosworth ones at the front. You have a lot of extra weight especially at the front end to stop.

Just my 2d worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carsonp

posted on 13/8/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Im planning on more bracing and also thicker material for a a lot of it )plus a good cage)

As for brakes it will definitly have disks all around, probably from a C4 or C5 corvette cause im going to use the suspension and wheels from them (probably)

thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.