Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust Wrap
chrisj

posted on 23/8/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust Wrap

I've seen the future its exhaust wrap !

Paranoid about temperature due to expense of engine.

I've put on larger fans (Pacet Pros) and cut vents in the top of the bonnet and the nose, oil cooler But to no avail, evaropating petrol, falling oil pressure and potential large bill.

Was passing Woolies and invested in a 50ft reel of 2" exhaust wrap and fitted it over the following couple of days between the headers and the panels.

The longest length was about 10" but their are 8 of them but nevertheless I used the whole reel !

Cost £1 a ft plus vat but, I've burnt the wrap in as instructed for the 5 minute period and continued to check the header temperature (hand), water temperature (guage) and the preliminary results are astounding !

Couldn't go near the headers after 30 seconds of running without losing hairs off the back of your hand, now you can touch the tape after 5 minutes( not advisable on a regular basis !).

Very impressed, will keep you up to date with what happens after a hard blat across some local B roads but real test will be sitting on a local A road car park during rush hour and see how it behaves.

Thought, I assume that it pushes the heat down the header into the exhaust and if was to increase the depth e.g. put another roll on it would it increase it effectiveness any futher ?

I love speed :-P

posted on 23/8/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
its good stuff, however it does reduce the life of your exhaust

Phil

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisj

posted on 23/8/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
How does it do that ?
pawgrp

posted on 23/8/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Did a back to back dyno run on my firestorm, before and after exhaust wrap. Result, an extra 4 hp, plus cooler running. I've been lead to believe it keeps the exhaust velocity high as the gas dosn't cool so readily as it travels along the pipe.
I love speed :-P

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisj
How does it do that ?

Havnt a clue, just no it does

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 23/8/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
mThe heat that would normally be lost through the manifold has to go somewhere. Probably into the silencer weakening the silencer packing ?
Dusty

posted on 23/8/06 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I love the worried looks from other motorists as the rain steams of in the first half mile. My car lives outside and the exhaust is wrapped back to the silencer to avoid litigation.
C10CoryM

posted on 24/8/06 at 02:47 AM Reply With Quote
Generally its because the wrapping holds moisture and rots out the exhaust its wrapped around. If you have SS, no worries .

Power gains are to be had because hot gasses take less energy to push out than cold/dense gases. Also keeps the underhood/intake temps down giving denser air to burn.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

chrisj

posted on 24/8/06 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Good news no packing left in the silencers, I think it fell out on the way back from SVA.

And it is stainless. Can't wait to see if I can get the externals to glow !

procomp

posted on 24/8/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi as some one else has said the heat has to go some where. It has been known for the heat to soak back up to the head and on a zetec and a vx ive seen what can happen so keep checking as it might not show up on the warter temp guage.

cheers matt

scotmac

posted on 24/10/06 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen the future, and it is ceramic coating!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.