Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham Superlight weight - K series - similar to Zetec?
Just

posted on 26/8/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham Superlight weight - K series - similar to Zetec?

Just been driven on a track in a Caterham 1.8 superlightweight with a 160-170bhp K series in it. It made my Pinto look sloooow and was wondering if that particular engine was something really special or if an upgrade to a 1.8 Zetec with TBs would have the same results for my Tiger?
Jubal

posted on 26/8/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
They weigh around 500kg, model dependent. So the one you were in had about 320bhp per ton. None too shabby.

There was an R300 at the last trackday I did. 160hp and 525kg. It was usefully quicker than my blade Indy. You can't argue with physics.

Hammerhead

posted on 26/8/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
zetec engines weigh more than K series as far as I am aware. The K is all ally.

Danozeman

posted on 26/8/06 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
The k series is a very quick revvy light engine. I contemplated one for mine at one point.

Different management and TB's they are very quick..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ady8077

posted on 26/8/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

The zetec SE weighs about the same as a K and has the exhaust on the same side as a pinto, there only a 1.6 but shawspeed recon they can be tuned to over 200 bhp

Might be an easier swap?

Adrian

ned

posted on 26/8/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
friend of mine is building an indy with a zetec se, apart from the bellhousing you can use it pretty much standard as the injection manifold sits under the bonnet nicely and its all ally and a suprisingly small/narrow engine compared with most 2ltrs so easier to work around.

1.7 variant in puma's and they can be upgraded relatively cheaply for good power.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skydivepaul

posted on 26/8/06 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
i looked into this recently as a change from the BEC. puma 1.7 or new fiesta 1.6 zetec SE can give 200bhp.

expect to shell out over £3000.00 not including the engine to get this sort of power and you wont have anything under 2000rpm. brilliant for sprints, hillclimbs, track and race but might be a flat on the road. like a BEC

also what you are trying to compare is a very expensive well sorted car with a budget blaster. nothing wrong with the MK or locost types but the caterham R300 is a very quick car....................you get what you pay for

[Edited on 26/8/06 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.