Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wat is the most powerful MK?
Crazy Jay

posted on 31/8/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Wat is the most powerful MK?

Does anyone on here know wat the most powerful MK Indy is? I've been wondering how much power or more importantly torque it can take before twisting, especially their new chassis.

Altho my current Indy isnt finished yet, i'm already gathering parts for the next one and will be purchasing an SR20DET engine, box and diff next month (I love student loans)! If I spend approx. £1000 on the engine it'll make over 300BHP, but for alot less than a holeshot turbo kit I could have 500bhp out of it

Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers

dilley

posted on 31/8/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Im only running 240 at the wheels and thats plenty.
Crazy Jay

posted on 31/8/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure its way more than enough, but i'll be building the engine up for my 200sx anyway, so thot i'd put it in for a laugh and if its too much then switch with my 270ish brake engine
fesycresy

posted on 31/8/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
The nissan engine needs mods to the tunnel and footwell. I looked at this engine for my next car, but can't afford 3" off the footwell.

Also after thinking about it, I don't think I'd like too much turbo lag in a 7. Could be entertaining mid corner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

graememk

posted on 31/8/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
i have the 1.8 turbo nissan engine (200Bhp ish) in my car and to be honest i wouldnt go down the turbo route again, its fun and loads of wheel spin, you will 100% need a lsd, i'd go 2l zetec next time

JAG

posted on 31/8/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I was out in my car last night - it made me think about the power issue

My car has 116bhp (according to Mazda) and a totally standard engine. Last night the roads by me were damp and greasy.

I found it very difficult just getting 116bhp on the road without wheelspin and it made me think what would 200bhp be like in these conditions?

I have hopes for a tuned engine and a turbo installation in the near future but last nights experience has made me think a bit harder.

Maybe a LSD would help??

[Edited on 31/8/06 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Crazy Jay

posted on 31/8/06 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
My tin top has very little turbo lag but agree its insane in the wet, if its on high boost in 4th gear in the wet and I plant it down it lights up!
Do you reckon the chassis would need strengthing? Would consider having the SX LSD put in aswell if possible.
3" off should be OK as im not overly tall (5'11"

Crazy Jay

posted on 31/8/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i have the 1.8 turbo nissan engine (200Bhp ish) in my car and to be honest i wouldnt go down the turbo route again, its fun and loads of wheel spin, you will 100% need a lsd, i'd go 2l zetec next time

It must sound nice tho, chirping away, gotta love turbos!
I think id invest in some sorta racelogic traction control

NS Dev

posted on 31/8/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I also would avoid the turbo route if at all possible. a 2 ltr 200hp nat asp engine in a 7 will easily outperform a 260hp turbo in the same car.

The turbo is great for pub numbers and wheelspin but not much else without 4wd.

By 3" off the footwell he meant width not length by the way.........you'll need narrow feet!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Findlay234

posted on 31/8/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
its not an MK but what about hicost's car... 415bhp & 400 ftlb torque

http://www.jamesmiles.co.uk/

ok its a bit bigger than the standard locost chassis but not very different.

[Edited on 31/8/06 by Findlay234]

froggy

posted on 31/8/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
my indy mongrel has a 4.0 v8 which willhave a turbo but it also has 4wd, and to be fair all sevens are pretty rubbish in the wet
Crazy Jay

posted on 31/8/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I also would avoid the turbo route if at all possible. a 2 ltr 200hp nat asp engine in a 7 will easily outperform a 260hp turbo in the same car.

The turbo is great for pub numbers and wheelspin but not much else without 4wd.

By 3" off the footwell he meant width not length by the way.........you'll need narrow feet!!!

Ah width, that makes more sense

Why is that the 200hp would out perform the turbo? is it due to lack of grip etc? And wat about busa turbo's etc? is it their lightweight that gives them the edge?
Really interested to hear everyones opinions Cheers

DIY Si

posted on 31/8/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think a supercharger would be a bit better in a se7en than a turbo, as it removes the lag. I think the bike engine'd versions are quicke due to being lighter and the engines are more suited to a light weight car such as a se7en, with loats of power, but also lots of revs, rather than loads of low down power.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

roadrunner

posted on 31/8/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
What about civic type r with super charger, that would be 300bhp and a proper thrasher.
procomp

posted on 1/9/06 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi in a severn type on a circuit you will have to have double the power with a turbo to out perform an aspirated car this has been seen many times. Look at the (WLMR) cant think what its called demo car reportdly has 420 bhp from the nissan unit and is quick down the straight but overall lap times were slower than a 90bhp locost . Same with the hyabusa tubo dax built .

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JAG

posted on 1/9/06 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
To sum up what everyone's saying;

"Power is nothing without control"

....but I think a turbo' Locost can be just as quick as a nat' asp' engine but you've got to get the installation just right.

In my opinion it's about making the transition from off-boost to on-boost as smooth as possible and getting the right gearing.

Trying to get huge power from a relatively small engine means a big turbo' with lot's of lag and huge torque variation at the boost/no-boost threshold. Hence it's very fast in a straight line but slow around the corners because the drivers wary of the boost/no-boost thing.

Chris Goods car seems to be just about right - his dyno' curves show a smooth transition and good smooth power delivery. I would be very suprised if that's a slow car round corners.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

Crazy Jay

posted on 1/9/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'm really suprised by the slower locosts beating the turbo, cause I reckon around a track i'd give one a run for its money in the SX. There's all this talk of lag, but I can honestly say I dont experience much at all. I have a greddy profec B boost controller low boost runs around 7psi and high is 14psi. I've raced M3's with more power than mine, but with the power delivery I can beat them. Surely if that engine was in a car that weighed half that it would be a weapon. Only thing i'll have to sort out is the handling and diff as on a rollin road it maxed out at 172mph!! way to fast for a se7en

[Edited on 1/9/06 by Crazy Jay]

Crazy Jay

posted on 1/9/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi in a severn type on a circuit you will have to have double the power with a turbo to out perform an aspirated car this has been seen many times. Look at the (WLMR) cant think what its called demo car reportdly has 420 bhp from the nissan unit and is quick down the straight but overall lap times were slower than a 90bhp locost . Same with the hyabusa tubo dax built .

cheers matt

Matt, did the locost beat the dax turbo round track?

procomp

posted on 1/9/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
HI i didnt have the two there on the same day but when we had the 1.8 zetec there at the same time as the dax i left it standing on lap time and the locost racer is only 7secs a lap slower than the kit racer. Locost 1.46
kit 1.39
rgb front runners 1.34

both the dax and the wlmr or what ever its called were mighty quick down the straights but were so slow round the corners espesially the wlmr thing as it was poping and hissing the dump valve every two seconds looked impressive to all the hot hatch drivers that were there but not to any one else who was in a average kit car it just got in the way. I think criss mason was there with his mk he may even have video footage of it possibly.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Crazy Jay

posted on 1/9/06 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm cheers for the info maybe worth lookin into some other engines, maybe a real nice busa even. Will let ya's know when i know

Is this the car you mean?

[Edited on 1/9/06 by Crazy Jay]

procomp

posted on 1/9/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi yea pretty shure it was one of them has the mk chassis under it i think.

cheers matt

nick205

posted on 3/9/06 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
AGM WLR is the car, built on an Indy based chassis with outriggers to hold the full body work on.
iank

posted on 3/9/06 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Certainly used to be an Indy chassis with outriggers, think they started making their 'own' chassis later on.

James and Jonte talk about it here http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=42903

quadra

posted on 5/9/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
HI i didnt have the two there on the same day but when we had the 1.8 zetec there at the same time as the dax i left it standing on lap time and the locost racer is only 7secs a lap slower than the kit racer. Locost 1.46
kit 1.39
rgb front runners 1.34

both the dax and the wlmr or what ever its called were mighty quick down the straights but were so slow round the corners espesially the wlmr thing as it was poping and hissing the dump valve every two seconds looked impressive to all the hot hatch drivers that were there but not to any one else who was in a average kit car it just got in the way. I think criss mason was there with his mk he may even have video footage of it possibly.

cheers matt

I am no race engineer, but some of this doesn't make sense. Are you saying that a 90bhp locost racer will beat a Rush hayabusa turbo around most tracks, if so you need to be be entering the time attack series!(rockingham round won by Duncan Cowper in a Rush Hayabusa turbo). When comparing kit cars you need to be aware for what purpose people built the cars (road car or race car), setup, tyres, brakes, driver ability etc etc. Just because most sevens look the same doesn't mean they perform the same, regardless of engine power output. Why are people so driven by peer pressure to have what other people call "the best" setup, do it you own way, have fun and be unique, thats what makes a seven project good.

Mike

[Edited on 5/9/06 by quadra]

You don't need eyes to see, you need vision!

gttman

posted on 6/9/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Lol
I remember being caught and passed at donnington in my Ultima by a BEC MK indy (I have a rule if a car catches me in the corner I let it past on the straight), my Ultima was genuinelly quicker accelerating than an R500 or bussa radical, but I was a complete girl in the corners as its a lot of money to risk throwing into the gravel and I don't go to track days to race.
Also I think the other driver was better than me.

My point is that at a normal track day just because its on track does not mean that its anywhere near the cars limit on the corners etc......

However I will point out that power does not always = more fun as its easier for the average Joe to get to the limit of a less powerful car.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.