Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AGHHHHHH HELP!!!
GTO

posted on 13/5/03 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
AGHHHHHH HELP!!!

whilst striping the front shocks on a sierra doner i have broken the bolt holding the shock into the hub ---
is there any easy way to get the broken bolt out there is nothing showing of the bolt so grips are out of the question

Q. can i just drill it ?
Q. is it yet another trip to the scrappy?
Q. should i find a big grinder and take it to the sierra (not much help but would make me feal better

Viper

posted on 14/5/03 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
Stud extractor.....usefull bit of kit...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
auzziejim

posted on 14/5/03 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
GTO this happened to me all i did was drill the remainder of the bolt halfway through then treated it to a lot of heat and hammered the bastid out! Sounds over the top but the thread was good for nothing as it had rusted so there was no more thread.

Cheers

James

carnut

posted on 14/5/03 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
If you can see any of it protruding weld anothern bolt onto the bit showing then unscrew it
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/5/03 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
if thats the bolt holding the mcphereson strut, then there is a gap which you can see the bolt thread through - why not hacksaw the bolt or cut it with a grinder and remove it as two bits?

atb

steve

dozracing

posted on 14/5/03 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Go to Halfords, buy a set of easy outs (stud extractors). Basically you drill intot he end of the broken bolts, and the easy outs screw in with a left hand thread then jam up (because they are tapered) then you carry on winding them and the bolt comes out!

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 14/5/03 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Go to a breakers yard & find a hub where the bolt comes out. Cost you about the same as a set of easy-outs, and a lot less stress.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

MikeRJ

posted on 15/5/03 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dozracing
Go to Halfords, buy a set of easy outs (stud extractors). Basically you drill intot he end of the broken bolts, and the easy outs screw in with a left hand thread then jam up...

And then snap off flush in the bolt resulting in much swearing

paulf

posted on 15/5/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
When I worked in an engineering company that did a lot of work for the motor trade we used to get lots of bits of cars with broken easyouts in them to remove, often from quick fit type places.It was sometimes very expensive to remove them . At times i have cut them out with oxy acetylene, drilled from the opposite side and sometimes on hard to obtain parts like cylinder heads, even had to cut a lump of the casting and build back up with weld.
I Never use them and always prefer to drill the bolt or stud out and helicoil if neccessary.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

And then snap off flush in the bolt resulting in much swearing

Danozeman

posted on 16/5/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
IT must have been well seized in to break off like that so what ever you do to remove it will be a Bar steward. Id go to the scrappies and get another hub, Cheaper and alot less hasle.
Liam

posted on 16/5/03 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have attempted to use stud extractors three times - and have three broken stud extractors. Useless cocking pieces of crap.

Drill it out, call it a bi*ch and throw it away.

Sorry - slightly annoyed.

=)

Metal Hippy

posted on 16/5/03 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't that because you're just a touch crap though mate?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

GTO

posted on 16/5/03 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks everybody

a friend has taken it on to look at but said not to be hopfull so its a trip to the breakers tomorow

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/5/03 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Id go to the scrappies and get another hub, Cheaper and alot less hasle.

Funny I thought I'd said that on the 14th.

& I was right about the easy-outs & the costs.

(the sound of smug silence) Enjoy.

Oh & GTO you have my sympathies. Even those of us in the trade break them regularly.

[Edited on 16/5/03 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.