Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 0X7
Julian B

posted on 15/5/03 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
0X7

Hi all

I have been trying to locate some info on a mid engine car built by a guy called John Oxborrow of Sussex i believe. He designed and built a car called a 0x7 based on a formula ford track racer. The only info i have managed to find is a report on it............ LINK.........here..........

If any one has any info on this car or its builder i would be very grateful, as trawling tinternet has produced nout.

Here is a picture of said car.

Cheers all

Julian Brewer
Cumbria UK

ceebmoj

posted on 15/5/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
looks intresting I have been thinking about something simaler but bike engined. I will finish the low cost first thow
Mark H

posted on 15/5/03 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Look a bit like a "push me pull you" locost. Reverse has got 5 gears too?

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

kb58

posted on 15/5/03 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well I guess as long as you can keep the track to wheelbase ratio from being too nuts, it should work out. It just makes construction a little bit more difficult because there are soooo many nice FWD drivetrains out there compared to the dwindling supply of in-line units. Why not use a FWD unit for space and availability reasons? It works out really nice especially if you use the whole thing, engine, tranny, axles, hubs, and brakes. Practically an all-in-one solution. But, to each his own...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Julian B

posted on 15/5/03 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well

I know that the easy option is transverse engine and its sorely tempting but i would like to try and keep it as pure as possible. The majority of transverse "mid engine cars" seem to me to be rear engine cars. First one to say Porsche wins a prize... The only reason to go mid engine inline is to try and improve on weight distribution and also to try and keep the cg and roll centre as low as possible. The biggest problem as you mention is the lack of gearboxes with the Renault un1 going for £250 second hand if you can get one! That alone could put an end to the mid engine low-cost idea.
I still think its worth a bit more time and effort investigating though.

Thanks for the input so far

Alan B

posted on 15/5/03 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Strongly disagree with your definitions...most transverse engined middys are MID engined...

The definition of mid engined is engine behind the driver but AHEAD of the rear wheels.

Rear is engine is BEHIND the rear wheels

Front is the engine in FRONT of the driver.

I know some front engined cars are closer to 50/50 WD but they are still front engined....I know you didn't mention this but the front/mid bullshit terminology drives me crazy...

Mid engined is purely a placement format NOT a weight distribution claim..

And anyway.....who says 50/50 is the optimum?

Not getting at you Julian BTW, just a general rant....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Julian B

posted on 15/5/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Alan

Your reply is just what i was after as i don’t claim to understand what the advantages of mid engine inline are (if any) over mid engine transverse. Or in line front engine over rear engine etc. I thought it was to do with trying to set-up an optimal weight distribution of 50/50 between the front and rear wheels so each tyre could be loaded up to its optimum during cornering. Also i thought it was to do with the front to rear tort ional loading on the chassis, but all of this i am still unsure of. A little learning is a dangerous thing!
I’m still very dangerous but trying hard to improve, sorry if my ignorance disturbs…

Cheers
Julian B

Alan B

posted on 15/5/03 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
No problem...as I say not a dig at you...

The main thing is many people say 50/50 when IMO a slight rearward bias may be better...say 40/60

The people who do know for sure probably have good jobs at McClaren and Ferrari I guess...

On the general topic of trans v inline I think it's swings and rounabouts...advantages to both methods.

Bottom line, whatever works for you and meets your requirements is the right way.....one of many right ways...

kb58

posted on 16/5/03 at 05:17 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding the advantages of 50/50 weight distribution, it's all true... But, if you put larger tires at the rear, now what? It makes up for having more weight at the back. So the permutations on how to build a car are about, oh, limitless. My recommendation is to do something within your ability, and get on with it. If someone says, "I would have done different," tell them, well, when they build THEIR car, they can!

Back to wiring my car... I had no idea how silly a turn signal switch is! Now I know how they get two filiment bulbs at the rear to do three things, stop, flash, and just be tail lights. Grrrr, it's nuts I tell you.
Hey Allen, are those tail lights you got from Walmart two filament? One or two bulbs?

[Edited on 16/5/03 by kb58]

Scouse Monkey

posted on 16/5/03 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Just take alook at the Elise, around 40/60 split (I have seen some values of 38/62). Planning on going to go have a real good look at one soon but don't they use a transverse K-series with their own design tranny?

Anyone know where the Elise fuel tank sits? I want to get it as close to the CofG as possible to reduce weight distribution change between full and empty (just like planes do).

Andy

[Edited on 16/5/03 by Scouse Monkey]

Alan B

posted on 16/5/03 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
KB - The lights have single bulbs with dual filaments....I'm 99% certain.....I'll let you know if not.

They have two wires... rear light, plus turn/brake light, with ground at the mounting hole

Spyderman

posted on 16/5/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
This may help or confuse the issue further.

50/50 weight distribution is only good when traveling in a straight line on an even surface.
The first corner you come to you no longer have 50/50 as the front takes a larger arc round the bend.
The same applies when descending or climbing (or accelerating/decelerating). The weight is no longer evenly distributed, so you are no longer getting maximum traction or loading on all wheels.

It seems that the optimum is around 40/60 as Alan states. This is due mainly to ,
1, the need for maximum traction under varying conditions (cornering, accelerating, etc)
2, keeping largest areas of mass (ie; engine and box) away from front of vehicle due to larger arc when cornering.
3, keeping weight transfer to a controlable minimum.

My explanations for the above are;
1, Weight over driven wheels gives maximum traction when accelerating. Tyres are not steering so are not sharing a task. Forces going into wheels are in a more controlled form.
2, When cornering the rear axle is not steering, so is taking the shortest radius. Thus is traveling slightly slower than the front axle. As compared for comparison a front engined car, the front engined car needs to accelerate the mass more to acheive the same speed through a bend. A good analogy is the Balerina doing a piroet. When she spins if she brings her limbs in tight she will spin faster than when extending her arms outward. More energy is needed to to spin the balerina at the same higher speed if she has extended limbs.
3, Weight transfer is very crucial and also very dangerous. You need to minimise transfer of weight as much as possible.
As stated above you need as much weight as possible over the driven wheels in order to maximise acceleration. Just look at dragsters to see this. However when braking or cornering having all the weight over the rear wheels on rear drive (or front wheels on front drive) can be disasterous as car will either spin out (or plough straight on with front drive). The further out from the centre the weight is centred will increase the tendency to transfer that weight when braking or cornering.

So overall a 50/50 weight bias is perfect for straight line stability and mimimising weight transfer when braking, but a slightly rearward weight bias is better all round.

Hope this doesn't confuse too much!
If you can understand it then maybe you can explain it to me!

Terry

bound to start of some controversy!

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 16/5/03 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
All seems to make sense Terry...but as you say this one will run and run..

As KB says (paraphrasing)

If you disagree, then do it differently on your own car...

We can argue theory all day, but results count....

kb58

posted on 16/5/03 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
... So overall a 50/50 weight bias is perfect for ... mimimising weight transfer when braking...Terry

I agree with everything except this part. Weight transfer happens no matter where the weight is. CG *height* is more important then where it is front to rear. As weight transfer occurs during deceleration, weight comes off the rear tires onto the front. Say you have 40/60 static weight split; during braking, the dynamic weight distribution is now something like 60/40 front to rear. If the car was 50/50 to start with, it would be about 70/30. That's one reason Porsches have such good braking, the engine is "holding down" the back end of the car, allowing more rear brake bias, which allows the rear tires to contribute far more to the braking effort.

TheGecko

posted on 16/5/03 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julian B
The majority of transverse "mid engine cars" seem to me to be rear engine cars. First one to say Porsche wins a prize

Julian,

I may be mis-reading this but are you trying to say above that Porsche's have a transverse engine? I don't believe there's ever been a transverse engined Porsche - certainly not a road-going one.

As Alan and others have stated, transverse FWD powerplants almost all sit in front of the axle line. In a mid-engined arrangement they can make for very compact packaging.

On the original topic (the OX7) I have an article (not the same one mentioned above) from "Which Kit" or "Kit Car International" somewhere here in the piling system. If I can find it easily I'm happy to scan it for you. It's late now - I'll look tomorrow.

Dominic

[Edited on 16/5/2003 by TheGecko]

[Edited on 16/5/2003 by TheGecko]

Julian B

posted on 16/5/03 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dominic

Thanks for the reply and if you manage to find out anything about the OX7 i would be grateful.

On the Porsche bit, well i just haven't got a clue what im on about really, i thought that the engine was slung out over the rear axle that’s all , as in the vw beetle but i guess they have moved on a bit since then.

Cheers again

Scouse Monkey

posted on 16/5/03 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look here, he has some scans of articles about the OX7:

http://locost7.info/mirror/other.php

Hope this helps

Andy

Spyderman

posted on 16/5/03 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
... So overall a 50/50 weight bias is perfect for ... mimimising weight transfer when braking...Terry

I agree with everything except this part. Weight transfer happens no matter where the weight is. CG *height* is more important then where it is front to rear. As weight transfer occurs during deceleration, weight comes off the rear tires onto the front. Say you have 40/60 static weight split; during braking, the dynamic weight distribution is now something like 60/40 front to rear. If the car was 50/50 to start with, it would be about 70/30. That's one reason Porsches have such good braking, the engine is "holding down" the back end of the car, allowing more rear brake bias, which allows the rear tires to contribute far more to the braking effort.

I'd agree with you entirely, but I was thinking about more varied conditions, like braking whilst cornering.

And why does a rear engined Porsche have less weight transfer (implied) when braking if it happens equally to all vehicles. The rear wheels of a Porsche do a larger portion of the braking simply because there is a larger portion of the weight over them and it can safely accomodate much larger tyres.

I never ventured into CG height as it would only have made it more boring and long winded.
All things being equal with CG height, a car with engine at either end will suffer more catastophic weight transfer than one with engine centalised betwen axles. Weight transfer goes in more than one direction.

Good point though.

Terry

Spyderman

TheGecko

posted on 17/5/03 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for the reply and if you manage to find out anything about the OX7 i would be grateful.

I've recently unpacked all of my Which Kit etc magazines (they were still in boxes from moving house 12 months ago). I'll go through them this weekend and find the article.
quote:
On the Porsche bit, well i just haven't got a clue what im on about really, i thought that the engine was slung out over the rear axle that’s all , as in the vw beetle but i guess they have moved on a bit since then.

OK, I suspect that you're confusing the usual meaning of transverse here. It just means that the engine's crankshaft is in line with the axles rather than with the centreline of the car as in an inline arrangement.

All of the flat-4 and flat-6 rear engined Porsches have an inline engine mounted behind the rear axle line. Most FWD cars have a transverse engine mounted (mostly) forward of the front axle line. If you shift one of those powerplants to the back it is in front of the rear axle line - mid-engined.

Hope this is clearer,

Dominic

kb58

posted on 17/5/03 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
And why does a rear engined Porsche have less weight transfer (implied) when braking if it happens equally to all vehicles.

You're right, weight transfer occurs on any car, rear engine or not, but think of it this way. The Porsche starts out with a static weight distribution of, say, 30/70 toward the rear. As the car approaches a corner, the distribution is still the same, 30/70, because the car is neither accelerating nor decelerating. Now the driver applies the brakes and the weight distribution shifts from the static 30/70 to an actual value of something like 60/40. See how that happened? The weight shifted forward just like always, but since it had an initial rear "offset," it works out that the tires end up more evenly loaded than if it had started out at 50/50. In the case of an initial 50/50 split, it would have gone to perhaps 80/20, resulting in less total braking ability.
The situation where a static 50/50 works well is only in steady-state cornering, with no acceleration nor deceleration. Keep in mind though that track cars are always accelerating or decelerating, spending very little time at that "balance point." Of course that's where tire size mucks up our simple theory. That is, if the rear tires are larger, then the rears can stick just as well even though they have less then 50% weight on them.

It goes on and on. If you get hung up on this stuff, you risk my dreaded "analysis paralysis," where you're too afraid to decide anything for fear of it being all wrong. Just read lots of stuff and get going. I say this from personal experience...

[Edited on 17/5/03 by kb58]

TheGecko

posted on 18/5/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
OK Julian,

I found the article in question (Which Kit June 96) and have scanned all 5 pages. ZIPped up, they total about 1.5Mb - I've put the zip file up at this address.

Let me know if there's any problems reading them.

Dominic

Julian B

posted on 19/5/03 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info guys its all very interesting. With reference to the Porsche and its weight transfer, i absolutely agree that under breaking the weight transfer comes back towards the optimum 50/50 split ( assuming equal tyre sizes) but ...but I thought the idea of a 50/50 split was to load up the tyre to its optimum when cornering. During cornering the car shouldn’t be in a state of breaking. It may be in a state of deceleration or acceleration and a car with a 30/70split would be very interesting when accelerating out of a corner... What are the front wheels doing?
This is all very interesting thanks again guys, and thanks for the 0X7 info its just what I was after

MrFluffy

posted on 24/5/03 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
un1

Is this the bit where I pop up and say "£250 for a un1, I want the whole bloody renault turbo for that much!"..
Been quiet here, feeling the pull of the dark side (my turbo motorbike)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.