Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: I need counciling
Dave Bailey

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I need counciling

O what a crap day in the garage! I took a chip out the gel coat of my Velocity bonet and could not weld a gearbox mount to the chassis for my life! I thought welding was an art which it is but I didn't think I could make such a mess of it! Anyone else been through this?
Catpuss

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Arse, still you can always repair the chip, get some bits of old scrap metal and practice on that before have at the mounts again.

I always find beer, take away curry and a good clean out after helps to give a fresh perspective on it

StevieB

posted on 17/9/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been through the scenario of spending a day in the garage and making backwards steps rather than progress!

Down tools for a while, if you work on the kit during the week, leave till the weekend before going back. If you only work on it during weekends (like me) leave it a couple of weeks.

Dave Bailey

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to be able to weld ok flat but if I have to weld inside an angle it looks crap!

I think I made the mistake of buying a Cosmo welder and the wire feeder is not particularly good!

RichardK

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Catpuss thats always the sign of a good curry
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Could it be that, in trying to get to the angle you need, you're crimping the feeder cable in someway which is pinching the liner so the wire feed is impeded?
Dave Bailey

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe... but the welder is still crap! Can't possibly be the operator!

Just spoke a local welder and he is going to come round in the morning and hopefully unbodge my bodge!

wilkingj

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a welder and need to reverse out bodges, I hope you have an Angry Grinder... Its an essential part of the Welding toolkit
1mm Slotting discs are very good. Even if they dont last long..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I need counciling

You got that wrong as well, it's counselling .
What are you welding it with, can you get someone to show you how?. Put your location in your profile and someone will probably be in your area to help out.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dave Bailey

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
can't spell either.....

I'm so depressed!

and what makes it worse I am in Portsmouth!

Hang on we're top of the leauge!

result!

Dave Bailey

posted on 17/9/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
can't spell either.....

I'm so depressed!

and what makes it worse I am in Portsmouth!

Hang on we're top of the leauge!

result!

lexi

posted on 17/9/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
We`re all in the same boat mate. Why do we do it? Well it`s obvious innit.......We dunno!. Spent all day faffing with a bracket today finally welding it up when next door neighbour says" Oh is this you getting it all put together now" " Yeah mate......Just like that"! Why don`t you jump in your Vento and bleep off to the golf I muttered to myself. I swear this guy thinks these cars come out of Ikea with a set of instructions.
Alex

JamJah

posted on 18/9/06 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Theres quite a few of us spread between West Sussex and Dorset. Where in Pompey are you? Thought about coming up to the New Forest Meets?... only half an hour up the road!
Dave Bailey

posted on 18/9/06 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have thought about going to the meet in the New Forest but wanted to get at least to a point where I can say I have done this and that....as it were. I'll look pretty cool turning up in my Punto Van!
(same factory as Ferarri you know (well sort of)

I am in Horndean just 8 miles north of Portsmouth....

Got a guy coming round this morning to un bodge my bodge!

nick205

posted on 18/9/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
likewise I have a neighbour opposite me who can't resist "popping over" to offer his considered opinion on what and how I should be doing it Doesn't matter what is is, he always has a "top tip"
Dave Bailey

posted on 18/9/06 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Had the guy fix it this morning.. I was there all day yesterday farting about.... 45 mins this morning and job done!

I hate smart arses!

back on track... mind you looked at me strange when i asked if he could weld up my GRP bonnet seeing as I had damaged it yesterday.....

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.