Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIff
Roscoe

posted on 21/9/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
DIff

I am looking to buy a kit from MNR (very impressed with the service) however I am questioning one of their costs.

They have quoted me £500 for a non LSD diff (3.62 sierra I think)

1) is this expensive
2) do I need to go lsd?

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
You don't NEED LSD. This does seem a little pricey - is it a new unit or something?

I asked for a price for exchange sierra calipers for all four corners and was quoted £300. My local motor factor can do them for £40 each exchange.

Something amiss in the MNR pricing?

Roscoe

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
sorry I did not mean need, as in, must have an lsd but will it make a difference. Do the wheels spin much out of corners (I am going R1 route)
StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a standard 3.62 diff for my R1 - not built and working yet but I have very little intention of splashing out on LSD for a while. So - hopefully it'll be ok!
peterriley2

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
id say DO NOT PAY THAT MUCH for a sierra diff, your local scrappy will probably be able to get you a 3.38 (better gearing for an r1) for about 100 big ones. all itll need is a clean and spray, as they are pretty much bombproof anyway.

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

chockymonster

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peterriley2
id say DO NOT PAY THAT MUCH for a sierra diff, your local scrappy will probably be able to get you a 3.38 (better gearing for an r1) for about 100 big ones.

Ask them for a flying pig at the same time!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chockymonster

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roscoe
I am looking to buy a kit from MNR (very impressed with the service) however I am questioning one of their costs.

1) is this expensive
2) do I need to go lsd?

I doubt it'll be a 3.62, it's more likely to be a 3.38 and yes that is expensive.

Don't bother with the Sierra LSD, it's not really that effective as it's a viscous unit. I've gone for a 3.38 that I paid stupidly low amounts of money for and will opt for a quaife atb when I can afford it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Having used both a standard ford LSD and now a quaife unit, it's worth saving up for the quaife, as it actually works. I could be wrong, but i blamed the uselesness of the ford one on the fact it was designed for a much heavier car, but maybe it was just worn out. A lot of peeps think an LSD in a 7 is unneccesary anyway. You could always add one later if you wanted, and try an open diff first. £500 seems a tad dear even for a new unit. Iv'e never paid more than £80 for a second hand one, although 3.38's and 3.14's are now fetching daft money.
Simon

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Roscoe,

It says on the left that you're in Manila.

I'm assuming that's the Philippines, does that price include postage?

ATB

Simon

peterriley2

posted on 21/9/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ask them for a flying pig at the same time!

i actually got a flying pig- last time i went i got a 3.14 diff for £25. i promptly sold it on ebay and made a tidy little profit.......

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

mnr laptop

posted on 21/9/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

dont know the specifics as i dont think i have dealt with your enquirey but you have been quoted for complete reconditioned rear end including bearings powder coat etc

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.