Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 750 Locost fuel Tank.
stevetzoid

posted on 23/9/06 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
750 Locost fuel Tank.

Hi all, where can I get a race tank from and what size capacity would it be, is it about 10 litres for a 13 min race, I am running around with a 25 litre tank, 20 inch wide.
Regards Steve Evans.

nib1980

posted on 23/9/06 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a couple i found, and if your getting rid of your current one let me know as I'm looking for one

NTDWM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALUMINIUM-KITCAR-FUELTANK-Locost-Caterham_W0QQitemZ220029668006QQihZ012QQcategoryZ100921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem />
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-GALLON-ALUMINIUM-FUEL-TANK_W0QQitemZ8074968911QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43120QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gloves
Junior Builder

Posts 35
Registered 23/12/03
Location Derby

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Selling 750MC Locost, building RaceKits Falcon 750

posted on 23/9/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

10 litres is a bit small, you will use somewhere between 6-8 litres in a 13 minute race and need to have 3 litres available for analysis by the scrutes at the end. I originally had a 13 litre foam filled tank from Forge Motorsport which cost about £100 in 2003, but this was replaced this year with a 20 litre baffled tank because of the 28 min race at Cadwell. The 20 litre tank came from Paul Talbot (Paultalbot390@aol.com) for £72 inc p&p, the quality was good, he will make it to your dimensions and I haven't had any problems with fuel surge with it only being baffled rather than foam filled (he will foam fill but it will cost extra).

Rob Palin

posted on 23/9/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I normally use a 12.5 litre foam-filled tank from Brise but for the longer races this year went the same route as Mark, if slightly larger at 22 litres. Again, no problems with fuel surge/starvation, in stark contrast to my original 'Book' tank. I would say the Brise tank is a bit higher quality than Paul Talbot's one but does cost twice as much for the bigger size.

You can work on the rough basis that we average about 11mpg. If you look at the circuit lengths quoted on the entry forms and then compare that with last year's results to see how many laps we typically fit into our race duration you get a range of about 14-18 litres used for a half-hour race, dependent on the nature of the circuit.

Then add on the three required in the regs, though i think that's mainly to stop people running out of fuel and having to stop out on track- they shouldn't need 3 litres to check for fuel additives since they can tell if an athlete's been taking dodgy drugs from just a small sample of wee!

We've been promised more half-hour races this year as it gives more track time and simplifies the timetables for the 750MC. Sounds great to me!

procomp

posted on 23/9/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi rummor has it that somebody also makes a larger tank for the 30 minute races that is also a better saftey tank than thoes mounted at the back of the car plus it comes with a sump pickup and with other benifits as well.

Price tho is £220 made to fit individual cars so car is needed to make tank.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 24/9/06 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Seen Procomp's tank - must be the way forward!

TC

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.