Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone up for buying plans for a McLaren F1?
nludkin

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone up for buying plans for a McLaren F1?

Linky

I love the fact that if you look through his feedback you see he purchased software for doing 3D scanning using a webcam..

SALAD

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
The listing has been removed, I think I smell a rat!

nludkin

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Questions on the auction included a guy from McLaren asking him to email urgently regarding copyright!!

Seconds later it was pulled, those McLaren guys are efficient!

[Edited on 25/9/06 by nludkin]

James

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
How hard would an accurate (looking!) replica be to do?
I suspect it's going to be an SGraber/AlanB type job and it going to take years of rubbing down filler but it makes you wonder....

Space frame chassis, grp tub, BMW engine and an Audi/Porshe transaxle.... interesting idea?????

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

StevieB

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
There's something kicking about in the US that's based on an MR2 - not quite a replica, but definately inspired by the F1.

The firm is planning to bring the car here at some point

nludkin

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
You could just cheat and buy a kit from these guys!

Linky

Hmm, now all I need to do is sell the idea to the missus!

StevieB

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one I was thinking of - just couldn't remember the name of it
James

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nludkin
You could just cheat and buy a kit from these guys!

Linky

Hmm, now all I need to do is sell the idea to the missus!

It's close I spose....

but I imagine it'd be harder to mod that to be more accurate.

It's an MR2 kit right?

Not gonna be easy to fit the 3rd seat!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

StevieB

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think it has a tubular chassis - it the MR2 mid to rear running gear that is the key.

Unusual for this type of car in the American market though - not a V8 as standard (though, of course there's an oprion!)

RazMan

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
As a matter of interest the chassis of my Aeon GT is designed for three seats (McClaren stylee)- I had to make changes for two seats.

[Edited on 25-9-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
well if you buy an accurate model then scan it - replicate the drawings back to scale , the print out a section every 31mm - use 6mm ply for the sections - 25mm box to bolt them all together , or something like that anyway .

well , i investigated that method for replicating ferraris !!!!

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

nludkin

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if DDR thought about a third seat but decided against it after hearing that it wouldn't sell too well in Texas?
Catpuss

posted on 25/9/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC McLaren attempted to get some patent on the 3 steat layout. Don't know if it really happened or its just car press bullshit.
RazMan

posted on 25/9/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt that they would get a patent based on the number of seats - I am sure it was done in the fifties anyway.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
peterriley2

posted on 25/9/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
ummm, i realise it may be illegal but how much were the plans, and anyone know the guys member id, or a way i could find him??????
...i feel a plan coming on....

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

nludkin

posted on 26/9/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
If I remember correctly the guy wanted roughly £100,000 for the plans, in 6 stages of 12-18k each... Yep, that's not a typo..

And of course the advert stated that he would need a token £250 to talk about your exact requirements at a convenient location. Or you could save the £250 for a very good night down the pub.

ned

posted on 26/9/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
....or for £250 you could build your own sportscar haha -

beware, I've got yellow skin

James

posted on 26/9/06 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nludkin
If I remember correctly the guy wanted roughly £100,000 for the plans, in 6 stages of 12-18k each... Yep, that's not a typo..

And of course the advert stated that he would need a token £250 to talk about your exact requirements at a convenient location. Or you could save the £250 for a very good night down the pub.

£100K

For that much it'd be worth the 4 years rubbing down filler!

Cheers,
James

NS Dev

posted on 26/9/06 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
errrmmmm, why not just build an Ultima!!!

Lighter and faster than the McLaren anyway (both in cornering g and in a straight line), brakes better than the F1, and little known fact that McLaren bought two ultimas as development cars when designing the F1! They were early MK3 ultimas at that.

[Edited on 26/9/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

iank

posted on 26/9/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
errrmmmm, why not just build an Ultima!!!

Lighter and faster than the McLaren anyway (both in cornering g and in a straight line), brakes better than the F1, and little known fact that McLaren bought two ultimas as development cars when designing the F1! They were early MK3 ultimas at that.

[Edited on 26/9/06 by NS Dev]

Remember reading that (and seeing a picture) around the time they were launched, they used them for brake development didn't they?

I must admit to thinking the same thing. for £100k a think the ultima guys would have I serious think about getting an extra seat in somewhere

[Edited on 26/9/06 by iank]

peterriley2

posted on 26/9/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
i was reading about this, apparently the f1 used some ultima parts in the prototype stage as well. i do reckon the f1 looks nicer though.....

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

TheGecko

posted on 26/9/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
McLaren did indeed use a pair of Ultimas as development mules - one to test gearboxes and brakes (with a 6 litre Chevy V8 to supply the anticipated torque of the V12) and the other to test the first engine and exhausts etc. Both were stripped and crushed afterwards.

Apparently, at the time, one of the directors suggested the just buy an F40 and hack that about as a mule (!) but Gordon Murray couldn't handle the idea of cutting up such a nice car. Later however, after LOTS of work making the Ultima's usable, he wondered whether the Ferrari may have actually been easier! All this quoted from Doug Nye's book on the development of the F1.

Dominic

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.