Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Corner Weight Gauge
lightspear27

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Corner Weight Gauge

Well ... I think I'll go the DIY way and build my own Corner Weight Gauge.

I have already ordered a hydraulic pressure gauge (1000 psi ... converted that's 1000 lb ... am I right?) from eBay for 4£ and I am now looking for a clutch slave cylinder.

A little bit of metal fabrication, a little bit of plumbing between the slave cylinder and the gauge and I'll have my Corner Weight Gauge.

I have just one question :

Will all clutch slave cylinders be good for my application? Or do I have to look for a specific model?

I will put a picture of a DIY Corner Weight Gauge found on the Net in my archive ... I think the article it come from was posted here a few weeks or months ago.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Stefano

mookaloid

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I would think a nice small cylinder would be suitable - bear in mind that it needs to fit under the wheel rim to lift the car up. not all wheels easily lend themselves to this.

It doesn't matter about converting 1000psi to lb's as you only need a comparitive reading from wheel to wheel IMHO of course.

Cheers

Mark

lightspear27

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
It doesn't matter about converting 1000psi to lb's as you only need a comparitive reading from wheel to wheel IMHO of course.

RIGHT!

Do you know what car a "nice small cylinder" could come from?

boxfile

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
How do you fill the slave cylinder with fluid and bleed it?

I am not a number!

russbost

posted on 28/9/06 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Old (not BMW) Mini had a reasonably small slave cyl. also has 2 good size lugs with bolt holes as I assume you'll need to attach it to something? Bleeding shouldn't be a problem as it has a nipple on the rear end - strange place to have your nipples

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
lightspear27

posted on 28/9/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Which One?

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.

I found 2 different slave cylinders for the classic mini ... I understand some are pre-verto and some are for the verto clutch. (see in my photo archive)

Which one should I choose?

mookaloid

posted on 28/9/06 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
You might even be better with a wheel cylinder off mini front brakes they are tiny if I recall and the piston pokes out a bit which is good.

I would fill the system with a syringe with the piston at it's maxumum travel then push the piston back in a bit to expel any air through the bleed nipple which you have positioned at the highest point.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 28/9/06 by mookaloid]

MikeRJ

posted on 28/9/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
It may be useful to be able to estimate wheel weights rather than just doing comparative measurements. Knowing the diameter of the piston in the slave you can easily translate pressure to force

Pressure = Force/Area

Area = 3.1415*Radius*Radius

Keep all units the same for simplicity, e.g if using a mini clutch slave, it has a bore of 7/8". If the pressure gauge reads in PSI, then the conversion factor is

Area = 3.1415*7/8*7/8 = 2.405

Simply multiply the pressure reading in PSI by 2.4 and you get the force acting on the piston in pounds.

This also gives you an idea what your pressure gauge needs to be rated for. If an average CEC Locost weighs 600kg, corner weight will be approx 150kg, which is 330 pounds. With a mini clutch slave this gives a pressure of 137.2 PSI.

[Edited on 28/9/06 by MikeRJ]

Simon

posted on 28/9/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Alternatively, do what I did and buy 4 sets of bathroom scales (used 2 per wheel) from Argos for £4 each

ATB

Simon

lightspear27

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for the advices
lightspear27

posted on 29/9/06 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for the advices
whitestu

posted on 29/9/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Alternatively, do what I did and buy 4 sets of bathroom scales (used 2 per wheel) from Argos for £4 each

I was thinking of doing this after seeing scales in ADSA for less than £3. How did it work?

Cheers

Stu

Simon

posted on 1/10/06 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Stu,

Fine iirc

Just make sure you spread the load across each set of scales. They are (as you can appreciate cheap) so subject to jamming (and giving false readings) if weight is applied in wrong place.

ATB

Simon

Peteff

posted on 1/10/06 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
You could try motorbike rear brake master cylinders, there are plenty to choose from. You could mount them in some form of frame with a plate for the wheel connected by lever arrangement to the cylinder to get the range you want. Cheapo scales sounds easier though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.