Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ultra cheap front cycle wings.
02GF74

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
ultra cheap front cycle wings.

conside this.

take a strip of say 2 mm thick ali, bend it in a curve so it covers the tyre; fit some edging on the sides to get round sharp edges.

so it is only covering of the top of the tyre with no side coverage.

Is this ok for SVA?

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen it done in a much more complex way by a guy who nade an entirely ali bodies locost (he's on here somewhere).

The car was in one of the kit mags and it said that after a bit of trouble getting the shape/dims right, it passed SVA without problems.

You're obviously having an ideas day today!

iank

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
yes it passes SVA, but looks pants

See http://www.davebence.co.uk/onyx_firefox/build_14.htm

Yes we all know it's ugly, but quite effective and it passed SVA first time. [Just trying to limit the inevitable slagging everytime I post this ]

mookaloid

posted on 3/10/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
If all you are after is cheap then yes it should be fine - I would have thought it might look a bit odd though, and the spray without the sides would be terrible in the wet - perhaps fastening the curved bit cut off the bottom of a plastic barrel of appropriate size might be ok for the sides to complete the wings and give them a bit of strength too.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Mark

zilspeed

posted on 3/10/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
It can be made to look much nicer than that. The ally can be shaped over some wooden formers with a nicely radiused edge which the ally can be dressed over.
Ideally the arch is made 'long' and secured firmly in place whiler the edges are dressed. Once formed, the long end can be cut off.

Every clubmans car in the eighties had them. (i.e. Mallocks and Visions et al).

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
But, realistically, how much would be saved over GRP cycle wings by the time you mess about to get a good finish.

I'm no expert, but I have a fair idea that ali panel beating is a bit of an art rather than something that can be learned in a weekend!

02GF74

posted on 3/10/06 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
ok, I've not told the full story.

I failed on wheels being outside of body plan and on Sunday got a set of steel wheels for under a tenner.

The back is sorted but the offset on them is big so they foul my existing front gurads; I cannot space them out using washers as the brake pipe gets in the way.

So I just want something - quick and cheap - just to get me through SVA and least cost; looking nice is of no consequence.

Another option is to remove the stays on my current wings - look like they are fibreglassed on - but that is more mess than making ali wing.

it is the side parts that is goona be the trick part to solve.

StevieB

posted on 3/10/06 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need sides evidentally, so a simple ali panel bent to shape and edged should do the job (it'll look crap, but as a temp fix to get you by SVA, might as well give it a shot)
DaveFJ

posted on 3/10/06 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
That's basically what Hicost has....

Cosworth Power
Cosworth Power

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Peteff

posted on 3/10/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think he now has carbon fibre ones, scattercash

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 5/10/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
hicost used to run those allly ones but bought/fitted some carbon look abs plastic ones a couple of year ago.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.