Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horrible crunch!...and home in 4th gear...
McLannahan

posted on 7/10/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Horrible crunch!...and home in 4th gear...

Afternoon all - Popping back from town today and I try to change down to third...Nothing. Leave it in fourth for a bit and clutch again to try again...CRUNCH!

Really nasty noise (one of those expensive sounding noises) and I can't get any gear at all.

Now I'm home (still stuck in fourth) I can clearly see the problem but I don't know the part!

Basically it's a linkage mounted on the edge of the tunnel. The gear selector link attaches to the top of it and the bottom (did) attach to the arm to the gearbox.

Can anyone help? I've attached a picture of my hand melting next to the hot engine to demonstate. The hole on the bar on the left did attach to the piece coming down. Sadly not now though...

Thanks guys...Fingers crossed this'll not put KC out of action for too long!

Tangerine Scream

posted on 7/10/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
MK are your first port of call, although it looks the same as the system used by stuart taylor. Failing that, it's effectively only a flat piece of steel welded to the end of a bolt in a tube, so you'll probably be able to clean it up and weld it back on....or get someone else to

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 7/10/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
OOOOHHH you've broken it !!

What he said - weld it back on.

JoelP

posted on 7/10/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
unbolt it all, degrease, wirebrush all the paint and smeg off, then weld it up, making sure you get it hot!

Whereabouts are you? If you dont have a welder its a pish easy job for someone to do for you.

McLannahan

posted on 7/10/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies guys - much appreciated!

I've now got the offending bit off. Does it have a name?

It was welded already - two spots that obviously weren't enough! But I'm not sure there's enough edge to weld back together. I'll pop down to a garage on monday and see what they think as I don't have a welder and can't weld either!

Thanks again all

JoelP

posted on 7/10/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
its called an angled push pull thingy...

everyone seems to have one, to take the linkage down to the bottom of the engine bay. Mine is the source of most of my gear lever wobble. I may remake it as a simple flat L one day and have the rod from the shifter slope down to the bottom. Would save weight and probably be a better design anyway.

Peteff

posted on 7/10/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bellcrank?

That's the function of it anyway, it transfers motion from one plane to another. Put your location in your profile and someone in your region may be able to help.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

McLannahan

posted on 7/10/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Pete - Thanks for that, I've put my location in now too.

Thanks everyone - fingers crossed my "angle thingy, bellcrank" can be repaired!

Hellfire

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Transfer Tube... bottom link. Its possible the gears were being selected to hard as its unusual for one of those to break. Maybe look for another reason as to why it broke rather than assume the part itself is substandard. Where did you get the car from maybe they can help?

Steve

McLannahan

posted on 8/10/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Phil - I think I've been fairly respectful to my gear changes so hope it's not me being too harsh with the changes. The tube itself is very tight (difficult to rotate by hand) so I'm thinking it was the weaker weld combined with the friction of rotating that's led to its death!

I bought the car from Hugh Feeny (up near your neck of the woods!) who built the car to a very high standard. Steve from MK wired it up and when I met him last week he confirmed that mine was the first GSXR1000 they'd put into an MK. I'm loving the car but lack of my own knowledge and a garage to work on is holding me back!

All the best

McLannahan

posted on 9/10/06 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed!

Thanks all again for your advice. Popped into a local motorsport place this morning with my broken transfer tube in hand. Chap cleaned it all up, welded it all around the whole tube, ground it to neaten it up and gave it a flash of paint too! Offered him a token gesture for his quality work.

Have put it back on tonight and results are superb! Gear change is complely different - so smooth and easy! Can't wait now for some decent weather to get KC out in!!

Thanks again guys

tks

posted on 17/10/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
return spring

think its the return spring!

that one looks like a serious spring!!

If you can swap it for a more soft example your lever won´t suffer much force..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.