Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2 Diff questions in one
StevieB

posted on 8/10/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
2 Diff questions in one

Hi.

I'm starting to think about cleaning up my diff and have come to a couple of options that I'm hoping people on here can help me with:

How much does it cost to get a diff recon'd properly (on the basis that if I get a receipt for recon'd diff and engine, I should be able to get a new plate rather than a Q).

Altternatively,

What's the best methid for cleaning up a diff to the best finish (currently got Gunk applied and will keep doing so for a few days, but there must be a better way - Gunk isn't really very good!)?

Cheers,

Steve

DIY Si

posted on 8/10/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oven cleaner is supposed to be good for cleaning. No idea about recon bit though.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

StevieB

posted on 8/10/06 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if cilit bang would do any good?

DIY Si

posted on 8/10/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Should be, just be sure you get the grime/limescale version and maybe the de-greaser.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

pawgrp

posted on 8/10/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Clean off the crap with scraper, wash down with thinners then take it with u next time u go over to mk and they will let u put it in their blaster. comes up like new.they have blanking plates to stop any grit getting in(just incase you were wondering).
froggy

posted on 8/10/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
7" diffs run with very little backlash around 10 thou so if yours have any real play between pinion and output it could be adjusted but they are pretty tough anyway, as far as re con goes its just seals and bearings which if you can lock the diff to undo the pinion plange nut you can do yourself . around £100 should cover having it stripped and re built with new seals and bearings extra
StevieB

posted on 8/10/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
There's nothing wrong with the diff from what I can tell - it's not in too bad a state. The reasin for getting a recon'd one would be to be able to present the receipt at the DVLA inspection (along with the same for the engine) and be able to get a new plate, rather than a Q

[Edited on 8/10/06 by StevieB]

DavidM

posted on 8/10/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

on the basis that if I get a receipt for recon'd diff and engine, I should be able to get a new plate rather than a Q).

To be eligible for a new plate you are only allowed one reconditioned part.

See here under "Kit Cars"

http://direct.gov.uk/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicleArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10014246&chk=VsQ/Fs

David

[Edited on 8/10/06 by DavidM]

Proportion is Everything

StevieB

posted on 8/10/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oh well - cilit bang or oven cleaner it is then!

peterriley2

posted on 9/10/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
by the way, i tried both cillit bang and oven cleaner a few times- by far the best method is to get a power drill with wire brush attachment (one where the wires are about 1cm in diameter to reach into the ribs) and give it some serious going over. takes about 1-2 hours, but it will come up shiney, and doesnt involve much cost at all (apart from time) thats then fine to primer and paint.

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

StevieB

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, as long as oven cleaner emoves all oilyness, I'll then shove it in the car.

You can't see it and it'll be in s**t state in no time anyway, so as long as I've given it some cursory attention and it works OK internally, it'll do (I'll spend my hours making things look good that people can see and touch)

chockymonster

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Stick some rag/stuff into the driveshaft holes and give it a soak in a bath of Soda crystals.

Seriously nasty, will melt your eyes/skin but the diff will sparkle

I tried oven cleaner and cillit bang, far too much hard work.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Not into using nasty chemicals - haven't got the patience to be careful with them!

Like I said, as long at's had a cursory clean (because it'd be wrong to just throw it in the car).

Silas (Son of Silas)

posted on 9/10/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Good scrub with Gunk or similar the a quick once over with my grit blaster, using walnut shells instead of grit.

Works wonders on engine blocks too. Good thing about walnut is if the odd bit goes astray (inside somewhere it shouldn't) the potential of damage is much less as its a softer blast medium.

ProjectX

posted on 12/10/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mine came up a treat using Mr Muscle. Have a look: http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=45692

Cheers

02GF74

posted on 18/10/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
do you mean outside or inside?

outside: scrape away oil mess then use a tooth brush or similar stiff bush and petrol/paraffin.

inside oven cleaner to get rid of the brown stains and agian brush it; was out with petrol/paraffin - unless they are severe or sludgey, there probbly is not much point.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.