Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are drag links the same as top ball joints?
gjn200

posted on 26/5/03 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Are drag links the same as top ball joints?

well says it all really! Found some that look the same but refered to as drag links.

<- Me!

ChrisW

posted on 26/5/03 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Top ball joints are Transit drag link ends - *not* track rod ends as the book states. They should have an M18 fine thread.

Remember you need two from the same side of the van (can't remember which side it is) because one side is RH thread and the other is LH and (obviously) the normal way you would buy them would be one for each side of the van.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gjn200

posted on 26/5/03 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger! They are left and right oh well, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21654&item=2416794677&rd=1

[Edited on 26/5/03 by gjn200]

<- Me!

John

posted on 26/5/03 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Top Ball Joints

Bugger as well I asked for Transit track rod ends as per book, both right hand thread. They look OK but could they be the wrong part. Quinton Hazell Part no QD1117RHT (Equivalent MD1117R).

I would be gratefull for any help.

Regards.

John.

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

ChrisW

posted on 27/5/03 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
The thread on the track rod ends is slightly larger. No problem if you're making your own wishbones but if you go for bought ones most suppliers go by the 'M18 fine' specified in the book which is the drag link end.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 27/5/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
What I don't get is how bit's of info' in the book (which appear to stick out in the way they're so deliberately put in) are wrong.

I mean yes, ok, a cutting list with metric/imperial/Whitworth/BSA/whatever conversions I can understand having inaccuracies** but the trackrod part number paragraph and the chassis build paragraph where it talks about the 'G' rails being specific for the Xflow stick out like a sore thumb and then turn out to be wrong.
Do these seem like 'accidents' to anyone else?

Cheers,

James

** Although why the hell the same errors are in Book2 without an amendment sheet I do wonder!

[Edited on 27/5/03 by James]

kiwirex

posted on 27/5/03 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
What's a drag link?

Guess that says it all too... ('scuse my ignorance).

I thought a track rod was the bit that goes back and forward between the steering rack and the knuckle.

So what's a drag link?

- Greg H

MikeRJ

posted on 28/5/03 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Before the days of rack and pinion steering, most vehicles used a "steering box". This was usualy based on a worm and wheel arrangement, or sometimes a recirculating ball mechanism. The box has an arm on the output shaft that is connected to the steering arm on one of the uprights via the drag link. A second link (the tie rod) connected the first upright to the one of the opposite side.

Sorry if this is even more confusing, it's hard to describe. Virtualy all the big offroad trucks in the US still use this system

kiwirex

posted on 28/5/03 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, a temporary brain fade made me forget all about steering box systems.

- Greg H

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.