Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mis-fire then cutting out ZX9R/E
gizz

posted on 26/5/03 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Mis-fire then cutting out ZX9R/E

I'm just about ready for SVA but I have a problem. Run the engine for 5-10 mins then pot one shuts down followed shortly by pot 2 then shortly after total cut out.

The carbs have been pro-cleaned.

I think I've cracked it but want some advice.

I have the bike fuel pump mounted at the engine end on its side with the std filter in front of it on it's side. There is no non-return valve in the pipe. The pump then feeds the carbs via a non-symetrical "y" pipe with the shortest pipe going to carbs 1-2 and the much longer section going to carbs 3-4.

The bike pump has a built in pressure regulator which stops pumping when max float chamber pressure is reached. I believe that fuel in the filter and pipe then migrates back towards the tank leaving an vacuum-air/ lock. When the pump restarts it takes a while for full fuel supply to return full pressure due to the lack of a non return valve. The longer section of "y" inlet pipe to 3-4 holds more fuel than 1-2. Carbs 1-2 become starved of fuel before 3-4 because of the far shorterpipe length.

Is this feasible or am I barking???

I'll rework the system and re-position the pump, but if anyone can suggest another cause please let me know. SVA a week on Thursday.

Jasper

posted on 26/5/03 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting reading - my ZX9 just cuts out after running for a few minutes, unless I keep the revs up then it's fine.

Think mine is a carb set-up problem though, as it only stop on tick-over.

My pump is at the tank end.

Good luck with the solution and the SVA, can't help you though as I know diddly about bike engines.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.