Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harrier plane crash!!
donut

posted on 3/11/06 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Harrier plane crash!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YX6D_u_5vk

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 3/11/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
that's quite an old one, saw it at least a year ago. allegedly hovered for too long and the engines overheat if they are stationary for too long or so I heard last time I saw that..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JackNco

posted on 3/11/06 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
havent seen that one, always amazes me how how they can eject from!

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
You can even eject upside down you know!

nib1980

posted on 3/11/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
When they hover they spray water into the intake to cool the jets or they do overheat, If i remeber correctly, lucky pilot, some planes don't have zero height ejector seats

quote:
Originally posted by ned
that's quite an old one, saw it at least a year ago. allegedly hovered for too long and the engines overheat if they are stationary for too long or so I heard last time I saw that..

Ned.

[Edited on 3/11/06 by nib1980]

Guinness

posted on 3/11/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well that's a bit extreme just to cool the engines down, no way a quick spray of "Damp Start" is going to get that one started in a hurry.

Mike

Agriv8

posted on 3/11/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
the lucky bugger only 2 more to go and he is out of there.

( I belive - unless its an urban myth,that after 3 ejections - oh er - you are retired on health grounds, compaction of the spine )

regards

agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/11/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
This is true and did you know that when they do bang out they get a free Martin Baker tie. Prompts plenty of rumours when a pilot is close to coming out of the mob and 'accidently' bangs out.

locoboy

posted on 3/11/06 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Used to supply parts to Martin Baker and visited their production facility on many occasions........

They have a tally counter in the foyer that goes up every time someone is saved by one of their seats, generally it is accompanied by a picture of them too.

Pretty cool advertising material...

ATB
Locoboy

asn163

posted on 3/11/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Funny this thread should start now. Going down to Martin Baker next week through work.

Following on from Locoboy, they also post the number of lives saved on their website, currently 29 IIRC this year and 7000+ in total.

Simon

rsk289locost
Junior Builder

Posts 61
Registered 24/5/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Resurrecting, slowly, a 289 Cobra I built years ag

posted on 3/11/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Pilot error that one..at least the pilot had the decency to break his ankle (I think it was) when he landed back on the jet. Judging by the reaction of the bathers it's a common occurance in Lowestoft. Water is injected into the combustion chambers as required if they need to 'trip the limiters'. By the way only one Pegasus engine in the Harrier.

[Edited on 3/11/06 by rsk289locost]

mookaloid

posted on 4/11/06 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
the lucky bugger only 2 more to go and he is out of there.

( I belive - unless its an urban myth,that after 3 ejections - oh er - you are retired on health grounds, compaction of the spine )

regards

agriv8

It's true - after 3 ejections they are retired, their spines are severely shortened.

It's not on medical grounds though - it's that they can't see over the edge of the cockpit any more

donut

posted on 4/11/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's not on medical grounds though - it's that they can't see over the edge of the cockpit any more

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

ed_crouch

posted on 4/11/06 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
In the F104 Starfighter, the cockpit is so small that most pilots will have their kneecaps removed by the top of the instrument binnacle. I believe most ejection seats have stirrups to draw your feet back to stop you losing it all below the knees. Powered by cold/hot gas pneumatic systems.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.