Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nylon bearing?
rayroni

posted on 7/11/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Nylon bearing?

I'm in the process of fabricating a throttle linkage, which will have a roatating metal arm. I plan on 'mounting' this arm to a bolt.

However, how do I stop the arm sticking on the bolt, suspect I need some type of bearing.

Is nylon/plastic suitable and if so where can I get something suitable, or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks as always.
Andy

nitram38

posted on 7/11/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have used nylon rod ends from RS componants, on my gearchange. The steel ones I used a first tended to bind up if the smallest amount of dirt got in. The nylon ones will allow for a rod to slide through them without binding. I sprayed them with some white grease which helps.
I haven't had a problem since.

Confused but excited.

posted on 7/11/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
The choice of bush material is determined by which is easier/cheaper to replace. A brass bush will wear before the steel bolt. A nylon bush will absorb grit and dust, but the bolt will wear.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

CairB

posted on 7/11/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I used a pair of oilite bushes for my home brew throttle linkage. No problems after over 5k miles.
David Jenkins

posted on 7/11/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
You can get proper bearing nylon - I think it's loaded with graphite or something. Just as machinable, but makes a respectable low-stress bearing (like a shaft support).

David

CairB

posted on 7/11/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
You can get proper bearing nylon - I think it's loaded with graphite or something. Just as machinable, but makes a respectable low-stress bearing (like a shaft support).

David

I think it was called Nylatron, loaded with molybdenum disulphide.

By using loctited oilite bushes I was able to ensure that the bearings were aligned so that there was no binding that can occur with low precision assemblies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.