Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to get engines?..
rojabuck

posted on 5/6/03 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Where to get engines?..

Have been considering building a BEC for a couple of months (uni just finnished so now is the first time i can actually get going) and have noted quite a few "low" prices being mentioned when it comes to CBR1000F engines (even thought no mention of age etc..)

Would it be posserble for anyone to tell me where-abouts these engines are avalable for arround the £500 mark? (Preferebly a 1994..) As for the life of me i can't find any.. Also if anyone could tell me a good source of bike-engines in general (maybe some bike-brakers websites etc..) it would be most appreciated..

Cheers,
Roja

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macca

posted on 5/6/03 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Roja,
It may help if you give an idea of your location.I could give you a couple of contacts in the NorthWest but if you are at either end of the country they will be of little use.
Col

rojabuck

posted on 5/6/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Loverly Stoke On Trent

I'm from the stoke area.. so anywhere around here would be most appreciated..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StuartA

posted on 5/6/03 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Check Ebay, have a look at findit.co.uk, check local m/cycle breakers. If you don't know where local breakers are then have a look in Bike Trader or on Autotrader web site. Failing all of that, keep an eye out in local papers for crash damaged bargains and ask in local bike shops. Bike engines are getting a bit thin on the ground at the moment, so you may have to travel a bit to find one.

If all else fails, have a word with someone at MK or Stuart Taylor. Taylor were selling 'blade engines for a grand when we were looking (this is a bit steep, as you can pick them up for £600-700).

Just as an extra thought, check the engine mount points if you are picking up a crash damaged engine. We went to Birmingham only to discover we couldn't use the engine coz the one of the mounts was knackered.

[Edited on 5/6/03 by StuartA]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/6/03 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
There is one here - go to Honda Parts, then Engines. Its £650 which isnt as cheap as some I have seen, but does come with all the bits you'll need by the look of it

Chris

zilspeed

posted on 5/6/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
My recently acquired CBR1000 engine cost me £130 from ebay. I made it a habit to check ebay as much as 4 or 5 times a day for newly listed bike engines with a good buy-it-now price. I pounced on this one within 5 minutes of it being listed. Engine, carbs, airbox, loom etc all for 130 quid.
Bargains are out there.

rojabuck

posted on 6/6/03 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
cheers

Cheers for the help

Goin to get a copy of bike trader later today and i'll have a phone around..
Ebay worries me though, easy to get bitten by un-scrupulous people especially with my little knowlage of what to look out for.. (Can imagin buying a "blade" engin only to find out it was a "lawnmower" engine when i got it home..)

Will keep on lookin though
Cheers,
Roja

splitrivet

posted on 6/6/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
If its described as a grass blade engine its definately out of a qualcast
Bob

rojabuck

posted on 6/6/03 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
lol

If i fall that bad you have the fullest permission to twack me with a big stick..

Ooh.. look a fellow stokie!!
Th8 'o' r8 m8?
Ow at thay build gan?

splitrivet

posted on 6/6/03 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Mitey slow me auld,started in about 1996 then went down the pub in 97went back into the garage last week and thought Id better do some more otherwise Im gonna have an antique before I get the whails on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob

catflap

posted on 6/6/03 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
HAY rojabuck im in hanley mate
Try D&K in newcastle but they tend to want around a grand a lump, think they have a year 200 in at moment for 1k or there abouts, give them a call.

Drop me a line mate, your welome to come and meet up with me and dodge T, and cashy, 3 of us in the area have blade cars, soon to be joind by some of our feidns, with another blade, and 2 r1`s on the way.

We blast out to matlock on sundays when its nice, your welcom to catch a lift

rojabuck

posted on 7/6/03 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Stoke... Home of the BEC???

Damn.. there seems to be more 7's and locost's in stoke than anywhere.. heh

Should organise a potteries "7" marathon soon as i get mine on the go

catflap.. i may very well take you up on that offer as soon as i have a weekend free etc.. Maybe it would give me some more inspiration and motivation!!

Cheers
Roja

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.